when buying a turbo?

TURBO2010

Member +
hey lads this might have been covered b4 but i cant find anything! when buying a second hand turbo how can u tell if the oil seals arent worn??

animal gt

Member +
wel generaly you check it for shaft play! in and out,up and down,youl probly get a small amount of movement,anyting more stay away.
seals gone the exhaust side would be quite oily.so just check that aswel,also try get a turbo with no cracks round the wastegate..its hard to come by a good ct9 doh! id say 90%of the ones i seen or took of cars had cracks or seals going an gone.

-cuffy-

Member +
wel generaly you check it for shaft play! in and out,up and down,youl probly get a small amount of movement,anyting more stay away.
seals gone the exhaust side would be quite oily.so just check that aswel,also try get a turbo with no cracks round the wastegate..its hard to come by a good ct9 doh! id say 90%of the ones i seen or took of cars had cracks or seals going an gone.

yea exactly mate, nearly every ct9 will have cracks around the wastegate, common problem but shouldnt affect holding boost :) small turbo generates alot of heat. what turbo you looking at buying?

TURBO2010

Member +
thanks lads!! i know about the oil on the exaust side just woundering was there any other way of knowing cause a good clean and u would never know!! just looking for a good ct9 mate!!

-cuffy-

Member +
as said it is generally hard to find a good condition ct9, most people are selling due to change of setup or other reasons, but generally if there is minimal shaft play and the seller has said that there is no smoke on idle or boost then you can hope that the turbo is in good working order, but then again its one of those things its bought 2nd hand and you dont really know what your buying until you fit it to the car :( you could always op to buy and new oil seal kit and get some to build and balance you a new reconditioned ct9? dont know how much this would set you back though, but least you would know it was in decent condition!!

corofin12345

Member +
as said bud.. try find one with very little shaft play..(kinda hard tho) once theres play the oil seal on the exhaust side wears fast..

TURBO2010

Member +
k when people say minamal shaft play what is it, about a 1mm of play?? how bad would it b b4 u wouldnt buy it?