when forging?

bullet

Member +
hi guys. Im lookin to forge my engine soon. Obviously ill be needing rods, pistons, headgasket and bolts. I was also thinking is there any pro's to doing anything to the crank? And would it be worth port and polishing the head? Also would it be worth getting cams? Ill be running a td04 and e-manage ultimate.

Is there anything elsei ill need? What are the best most reliable makes and how much am i looking at?

Thanks
alan

sanchez

Member +
Why not get some one to build it for you mate?
Dave at TM Developments has built alot of engines for members on here...

Hi there, You dont need to port and polish the head at all, Stock heads can flow good up to 330+bhp! You wont need to do anything to the crank in itself, just new acl bearings for crank and con rods. If youve rebuilt your 4efte before, you'll know its quite an easy process :) depending on what rods you shall use, your block may need notching for rods to clear!

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
Hi there, You dont need to port and polish the head at all, Stock heads can flow good up to 330+bhp! You wont need to do anything to the crank in itself, just new acl bearings for crank and con rods. If youve rebuilt your 4efte before, you'll know its quite an easy process :) depending on what rods you shall use, your block may need notching for rods to clear!

oh right.. :holdit:

hold it a few minutes.. no need to port & polish the head? if ur looking to make a performance engine, calculate a few things 1st..

a.) compression
b.) combusion chamber
c.) crank
d.) headwork
e.) fastners
f.) flywheel, clutch & drivetrain

If you think about it well hes not doing a rebuild coz he broke something, he wants to do a rebuild to improve on what there already is inside the engine (ie oem parts by toyota).. so in a few words

Yes a port n polish, cams, (not to rough something with speedvision's specs would be fine) a polished crank (no need to knife edge unless ur revving alot), you may want to consider bigger valves to suit the cams & of course maybe adding solid lifters to the equation & some uprated valve springs... will acutally help make the engine better/stronger/more free flowing.

no point in doing something more than once, when you could have done it right the 1st time.. especially with the labour charges u lads face in the uk ;)

kon

Last edited:

bullet

Member +
great stuuf thanks guys. Where would i get all the parts that i need? A list of everything. N i mean everything would b amazing. Looking to get everything so i can get the engine out and do it all then get it back iin. Thanks very much.

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
oks so:

1.) Full gasket kit from toyota
2.) Arp head, crank & flywheel bolts
3.) forged pistons (brand is irrelevant, calculate your application & go for a set)
4.) cams & valve springs (if ur after a cheap set speak to speedvision)
5.) Rods (scat are cheap but u have to knotch the block, pauter are the dogs dangles)
6.) you may want to get total seal rings insead of what comes with the pistons
7.) acl main end, big end & thrust washers (i supply them if u like)
8.) Headgasket, cruise or oem depending on how much boost ur going to run
9.) Solid lifters from toyota, pm me if u want to know which :)
10.) Honne the bores of your block (if ur remaining 74mm) if not rebore then honne
11.) face both the head & block since ull be using a metal head gasket
12.) new oil & water pumps (might as well since the engine will be out)
13.) Power Enterprise Kevlar II timing belt
14.) polish the crank lightly, maybe a little bit of edging, but just a little
15.) get ur clutch & flywheel, balance the lot with the crank & pulley :)
16.) port n polish the head, add bigger valves to suit the new cams (will help flow ALOT)
17.) check valve pocket clearance to new valves
18.) assemble

If im not forgetting anythign that should be the whole list buddy :)

kon

Last edited:

sanchez

Member +
oks so:

1.) Full gasket kit from toyota
2.) Arp head, crank & flywheel bolts
3.) forged pistons (brand is irrelevant, calculate your application & go for a set)
4.) cams & valve springs (if ur after a cheap set speak to speedvision)
5.) Rods (scat are cheap but u have to knotch the block, pauter are the dogs dangles)
6.) you may want to get total seal rings insead of what comes with the pistons
7.) acl main end, big end & thrust washers (i supply them if u like)
8.) Headgasket, cruise or oem depending on how much boost ur going to run
9.) Solid lifters from toyota, pm me if u want to know which :)
10.) Honne the bores of your block (if ur remaining 74mm) if not rebore then honne
11.) face both the head & block since ull be using a metal head gasket
12.) new oil & water pumps (might as well since the engine will be out)
13.) Power Enterprise Kevlar II timing belt
14.) polish the crank lightly, maybe a little bit of edging, but just a little
15.) get ur clutch & flywheel, balance the lot with the crank & pulley :)
16.) port n polish the head, add bigger valves to suit the new cams (will help flow ALOT)
17.) check valve pocket clearance to new valves
18.) assemble

If im not forgetting anythign that should be the whole list buddy :)

kon

This should be a sticky :D