Where is your car kept on a night?

kyle_d

Member +
Where is your car parked over night? I dont have a drive or a garage so im not looking forward to leaving an EP outside my house on the street every night :(

I may have to invest in a camera set up pointing towards the car on the road, can you do this as it isnt pointing on your premesis? I'm thinking people may not like it because you'll be recording them walk past and stuff?

Craig_GT

Lifer
Not sure if its on your list but ad defo get an alarm fitted mate.. A "novice" can break into a non alarmed starlet without breaking glass.

durmz

Member +
got mine on a long ass drive at my parents, tbh mate ide stick it inside a window in a subtle place so no one knows, then what they gna say?

zee20

Member +
Where is your car parked over night? I dont have a drive or a garage so im not looking forward to leaving an EP outside my house on the street every night :(

I may have to invest in a camera set up pointing towards the car on the road, can you do this as it isnt pointing on your premesis? I'm thinking people may not like it because you'll be recording them walk past and stuff?

my cars parked behind my house.....dad lives next door as just built a new house and sometimes its parked at the garage round back or on the other side at the front, all in all nobody can tell if i even park my car at home or not coz you cant see it from the street.
Got a toad cat 1 fitted for safety precausion:)

Do you live in a high crime area?? As mentioned it definately worth investing in a sound alarm system.

Are you worried about your car being broken into or stolen or both? You could get a snap off steering boss, so you can take the steering wheel off when you leave the car (a random mr bean episode springs to mind here :p) So that would stop it being stolen pretty much.

Also, get a face off head unit so you can remove this at evenings, maybe invest in some decent rear tints. And just generally dont leave anything on show in the interior of the car that may look like an invitation for a smashed window to a potential thief

Cornish-Glanza

Member +
I really couldnt bare to leave mine out on the street every night and i live in crime free cornwall!

i pay for a garage on a council estate about 5mins from my house.

Sii

Member +
My car lives under my house, not alarmed yet but locked up along side the FTO turbo. behind a solid wood door and 6 9" bolts securing a garage down door to the floor.

CAT1 will be going on once I get the TD04L all setup and start using it as my every day car.

www.glanza.co.uk

Super Mod (極度の調整器)
Yep, a snap-off steering boss is a good idea, maybe 2 x different sets of locking nuts to protect the alloys, a face-off stereo, and with your alarm, you should be safe enough... Just make sure you declare your mods to your insurance company, and insure it correctly (i.e., none of this 'insured as a 1.3 GLi' bollox). That's about all you can do asides from sleeping in your car or building a garage!

Iain@CRD

Lifer
My starlets parked outside my house but isent really a high crime area and i know mostly everyone in the town anyway. Something happened to it id hump there arse :haha: ... but i do have a CAT 1 alarm aswell.

Iain

MAD_MO

Member +
I hate keeping mine on the street now as they have moved all the smackheads from the town cente into an old school wich is 2 minutes from my house. all i hear in the morning is how some girl left some man and how their dad abused them n shit like that, thats why they drink. They always look into my car so its only a matter of time untill one of them geta abit enthusiastic and trys it. its ok though because ill just set my rottweiler on them:)

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
right guys and lewis heard before,
i left mine in my raod and had some jealous **** slash my tyres and spray paint my car,
so in retaliation, my dad invested in a cctv camera from Maplin,
it cost £100 they do cheaper ones and dearer ones,
basically, i set it up o my laptop and it records to it, luckily now my neighbour lets me use her drive.
but i caught someone trying to break into it, whilst in road again,
i have a pub 1 min away causes a lot of issues,
and had the camera and the recording copied to my hard drive,
got a brilliant night image these maplin camera's,
showed old bil, they searched there databse, and hey presto
he been nicked for it before.
so i would invest in a camera fella, people are wankers nowadays.

dan

Member +
I live in a pretty bad area and have had my GT, GSR and Celica all parked out on the front of my house, Might be the fact Its a main road but still. I think its luck of the draw in most cases, some opertunist may walk past at the wrong time.

I do have space in the back yard for the car but dont bother now's I only drive a laguna.

kyle_d

Member +
Guess i'll have to hope the car i buy has a good alarm system if not that will be one of the first things i get, i live on a busy street its not a main road but its busy and its a bus route. Its a council estate too, so there are quite a lot of dickheads around here.. not had any trouble with my car at the moment but its only a corsa lol i know alot of people around here and most of the thugs/thiefs so id like to think noone would touch my car but you never know.

I dont have a drive or a garden i can park it in or anything, just the street outside my house lol.

There are council garages behind the shops at the bottom of the road but IMO thats even dodgier than outside my house. Id rather be able to hear the alarm if it goes off, my bedroom is at the front too so i would definately hear it.

Does anyone know an answer to my CCTV question in post #1? Would it be violating privacy rights if it was aiming at the street where the car would be?

Also, i would definately get locking wheel nuts. I dont think anyone would steal the car from me its not that bad, but i wouldnt put it past someone to smash the window for any electronic gadgets that may be in view or a stereo.

Guye

Lifer
I don't know U.K. law but I don't imagine there would be any privacy issues if your cctv is covering your car on a public street. The government uses the same as a deterant in cities and stoplights, if there was a voilation of privacy, surely someone would have protested by now. I like the cctv idea, while the other measures would make it difficult to take your car or the stuff inside...the cctv would come in handy for identifying any vandals who may deface your car just for fun or out of jealousy. I'm sure the guys whose cars were burnt would have loved to have video footage of who did it. There are some things alarms & wheel locks cannot prevent.

dac69er

Super Moderator
I really couldnt bare to leave mine out on the street every night and i live in crime free cornwall!

i pay for a garage on a council estate about 5mins from my house.

same here. if you can afford to pay for the rent of it (about £25 a month if your a non council tenant) then its worth looking into.

basketash

Member +

yes you can do this as long as your not recording the whole street the better thing to do would be see if theres a neighbour hood watch there is around me and loads of peeps have cameras on the drive way and entrance to the close but it must be organised to do this im not to rue on the details but the copper next door explained it to me a while ago. The reason is hes moved in recently and he wants our area to live in a grade a so value is added to the houses. But to do this you need to hae a neighbour hood watch system . this is all i know i hope it helps.

lleey2k4

Member +
I use a girls garage round the corner costs me £10 a month :)

Car is alarmed, disklock, gear stick - handbrake lock and locking nuts.