where to get a stud made up?

durmz

Member +
ive got a 2nd hand old sps ceramic coated mani, one of the studs is shagged, managed to get the stud out, and its different at the top than the bottom, no idea where to get one, went to an engineering place and he said he'd need about a ton for it! due to setting up a machine for two hours, he said it obviously wernt really worth it, well now im kinda stuck. any help would be apppreecciiaaatteeddpics of shagged stud:

72d2802f.jpg

cb6eafcf.jpg

dac69er

Super Moderator
probably a metric fine one end and then a normal coarse thread the other. probably have one at work if you knew the size?

you can buy them off the shelf. is the thread in the manifold screwed as well?

durmz

Member +
really? ive no proper measuring equipment at home really other than a tape measure, but i could measure it best as possible if you can let me know what to measure if that make sence. the manifold end is fine i believe, when i took it out was the first time it had been touched, used a stud extracter, its got a tiny bit of wear on it, but i think it'd work.

if it comes to it, if you think you'd have one at work ide quite happily post you the dodgy stud mate

durmz

Member +
drill out the mani and pop a bolt through

thats a pretty simple solution, i really didnt think of that, worse case scenario ile do that, only thing is the stud quite big manifold end, so itd need a big bolt to fill it, and its quite close to the collector, but im sure i could make it work, repped mate

oh yeah do what that guy said drill it out and nut and bolt if mate if your using a td04 manifold only one will be a stud any way ???? the rest is nut and bolt mate

if you want a nice job if i was you but hack saw the head off a bolt drill out the old stud or drill it bigger for the bolt and have it welded on the over side so its like a stud then nut it on buddy i did this for a mate sweet as a nut

durmz

Member +
its not td04,and a bolt wont fit in there because the collecter come over the hole really close topside, ude never get a big enough bolt in the on an angle

durmz

Member +
if you want a nice job if i was you but hack saw the head off a bolt drill out the old stud or drill it bigger for the bolt and have it welded on the over side so its like a stud then nut it on buddy i did this for a mate sweet as a nut

no offence but that sounds really shite to me, i like to have things proper.

easy bud did the same for a mate get a m10 bolt and cut the head off it and put the cut end on the manifold and put a spot of weld on it with a nut to fit that bolt dude be lovly

TURBO2010

Member +
hey durmz!! id try another engenering place mate!! cause i work in 1 but even tho we dont av the lathe for turning treads my boss explained how to do it and if u ad a proper lathe to for it it wouldnt take that long and a ton is a crazy price!! he might not just av the propper set up!!

m10 will fit fine im im correct them studs are m10 any way just different thread patterm and pitch mate a normaly size m10 bolt from halfords will be fine just done use a nut thats got the rubber self hold ring on it as it will melt and smell bud

durmz

Member +
yea i may do, the way he explained it was that it mainly takes to time to get it all set up and shit, to be fair though this place builds like aircraft pieces and high spec, probs not the right kinda place