Which clutch and flywheel - rep to be shared

addz

Member +
Evening guys.

I know, another clutch question, but need to know what will suit my car.

It is mildly modified with spec below. I want something that won't be too harsh, but in the coming future I will want 200-220 BHP. Also, I am speculating on a fly wheel depending on how much it will cost, and which one (something decent). So please post names of cluth or direct links - I will supply rep, much appreciated.

0.8 bar of boost,
WEPR manifold,
HDI front mount intercooler,
Apexi air filter relocated to the front,
Decat,
Japspeed cat back exhaust.

Thanks in advance.

sanchez

Member +
What about an ORC 309 mate?
Im sure i saw a good condition one for £300 odd quid somewhere, as they are clutch and flywheel package..

Other than that there is ACT, the ones Sam at speedvision sells were supposed to be decent...

Dont hear many good things about Exedy starlet clutches anymore? :(

s.murphy

Leinster Area Rep.
Heres the one i went for mate.

Pricey but hopefully worth it.

Bob@ECC recommended the stage 4 as i told him i wanted something to run ct9 at 1 bar and Possibly td04 down the line.

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?60636-Competition-Clutches

Can handle upto 290Bhp and similar torque apparently.

Came highly reccommended by ECC, and was told its not too harsh for daily driving. Will let you know if thats true when she is on the ground though lol.

It looks like a super piece of kit and is the same make used by spuddy in his drag car.

churcherj

Member +

Bob@ECC recommended the stage 4 as i told him i wanted something to run ct9 at 1 bar and Possibly td04 down the line.

Came highly reccommended by ECC, and was told its not too harsh for daily driving. Will let you know if thats true when she is on the ground though lol.

It looks like a super piece of kit and is the same make used by spuddy in his drag car.

x2 i have this clutch, competition clutch stage 4 6 puk paddle, its a beast of a clutch mate! so easy to live with day to day and can handle alot of torque, i would go for that :)

blitz active clutch is good aswell, and comes with ligtened flywheel too.

sanchez

Member +
x2 i have this clutch, competition clutch stage 4 6 puk paddle, its a beast of a clutch mate! so easy to live with day to day and can handle alot of torque, i would go for that :)

blitz active clutch is good aswell, and comes with ligtened flywheel too.

Blitz active is same as orc 309, same parts

churcherj

Member +
Blitz active is same as orc 309, same parts

yeino but its a fair bit cheaper mate :) ORC309 is like £1000 isnt it? blitz is £599.99 from fensport :)

same concept, pretty much the same clutch but the blitz is the cheaper option! if your gona get a flywheel aswell, get a total clutch kit as said, either the orc or blitz, as it will work out just as cheap! a competition clutch is say £330 and a flywheel another £300 thats already the ammount for the blitz active single plate clutch kit

link bud: http://www.fensport.co.uk/Parts/Model_40/Category_3/497

Last edited:

churcherj

Member +
Good shout mate!

i really wanted that blitz active clutch kit, as i wanted a flywheel too, but couldnt afford it at the time! so opted for the compeition clutch, i know spuddy was running this at mega power and barely slipped so i was sure it could handly my baby td04 setup :) lol

addz

Member +
Thanks for your response guys, will rep when on pc.

I think the ECC stage 4 looks decent and price isnt too bad. Feedback seems good so far too.

Before this post i was considering an Exedy clutch, but no one has mentioned it yet, no feedback is good feedback?

DaveEG

Member +
I have just fitted a Helix Organic clutch which I think is great. Its good quality, easy to drive with, no juddering alike some others and the performance is brilliant.

Helix friction plate was stamped with LUK too so maybe its originally manufactured by them, only a good thing though as LUK is top quality.

As for flywheel, if your not looking for associated response of a lightened unit, then a skimmed one would be great, i'm selling one here...
http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?79137-Fresh-Skimmed-Flywheel-4EFTE

I fitted an Exedy Organic, within 1 day it had to come out as it was dragging quite badly. For this reason i'll never buy an Exedy again. Ever.
So with the price I paid for the Exedy plus the fitting charge I paid someone im out of pocket approx £430. Needless to say I fitted the Helix unit myself hopefully i'll get a refund on the Exedy unit.

Thanks for your response guys, will rep when on pc.

I think the ECC stage 4 looks decent and price isnt too bad. Feedback seems good so far too.

Before this post i was considering an Exedy clutch, but no one has mentioned it yet, no feedback is good feedback?

Last edited:

addz

Member +

Any more reviews on this clutch guys - seems very much what I need, power and price.

all the clutch you will need will handle anything you throw at it

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m19b0s1304p7194

This would be a little harsh for traffic stop and starts - trying to stay clear from paddle clutches as a mate said they can be a little nasty in traffic

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
This would be a little harsh for traffic stop and starts - trying to stay clear from paddle clutches as a mate said they can be a little nasty in traffic[/QUOTE]

its perfect in traffic paddle clutches are not that bad believe me its cheaper and will do the exact same job

churcherj

Member +
As said im running the stage 4 competition clutch from ECC and i have to say its such a nice clutch! so easy around town, abit of judder but thats to be expected from all paddle clutches rele, slightly more revs and your pull away smooth! ive driven my mates with the exedy and it was ALOT stiffer pedal feel and so much more jerky on pull away compared to the 6 puk i have. i suppose you get used to anything but i would take the stage 4 anyday! will easily cope with your setup/torque! PM spuddy aswell, he was using this clutch on his car running mega power and coped spot on.

addz

Member +
Thanks a lot guys. I might stay clear from the Exedy for now as my mate also puts me off. But this stage 4 seems really good - how much did you pay for yours churcherj?