Which crankshaft to use in a 4e/5e hybrid built?

VQ'ed

Member +
hi guys, i plan to build my engine shortly. i bought a too damage to repair 5e-fhe. i plan to build a hybrid 4e/5e-fte. so far, i gathered those parts.
-4e-fte cam cover
-5e-fhe cams
-5e-fhe ported head
-4e-fte pistons
-5e-fhe rods
-4e-fte and 5e-fhe crankshafts. Which one to use for a close-to 9.0:1 comp ratio?
-4e-fte oil pan

my two questions:
-is there any difference in stoutness between the two crankshafts??
i know there is a stroke difference and flywheel bolt pattern difference.
In canada, we have problems to have 4e clutch kits. We need to order from uk or speedvisioncps (which is pretty expensive). Give me you advices.

Is it difficult to machine the 5e flywheel to get along with the 4e-crankshaft?
which combo would be better? I have every part available.
i plan to buy a 6 puck/heavy duty pressure plate. I plan to get 235whp+ with my existing turbo setup. (gt2560R at 13.5psi, custom ex.manifold, Acis intake, 440's, AEM wideband, Apexi Neo, 2.5 inch exhaust, wrx fuel pump, Fpr)

Its my first 4e/5e build. Im pretty handy and crafty with air-powered tools. Give me a walk-through idea.
Thanks for the upcoming answers.

well...if u are building a 5e engine.....then u need to use a 5e crankshaft

you cannot mix up crankshafts ---hence 4e engine = 4e crankshaft

u can use the 5e clutch system and pressure plate ----just get a good clutch/pressure plate to match the 5e flywheel u have........measure it to make sure, see if its 200mm or 212mm clutch u need, and get the matching pressure plate also

VQ'ed

Member +
OK, I thought you could get the engine "stroked" from changing the crankshafts. Because the two engines has the same bore, i assumed we could swap crankshaft.

I formerly swapped crankshaft in my eagle talon (mitsubishi eclipse engine 4g63 2.0l turbo) with a hyundai sonata crankshaft (4G64, same engine family but 2.4l N/A) to get a 2250cc engine long stroke. It was night and day.
Spool up was 1500rpm earlier with 1 bigger size turbo.
i assumed you could do the same with toyotas...

Did I forget to mension I want to keep the 4e-fte BLOCK in my built?
my 5e block is too damaged to rebuilt and because of fitment issues with my custom turbo kit, i had to get the oil filter relocator kit on the 4e-fte machined to suit the turbo placement. A ton of things had to be suited to that turbo kit. It is one of a kind...

I use a turbo off a S15 silvia, a s13 turbo downpipe, custom 2.5 inch exhaust, a custom built exhaust manifold with a special turbo flange placement (downward exit). That's why i need to keep the block.

billybob

Untrusted Seller
5e crank into a 4e block doesnt work never heard of someone doing that :(,plus were the flywheel is the crank seal on the 4e is smaller then the 5e one

VQ'ed

Member +
5e crank into a 4e block doesnt work never heard of someone doing that :(,plus were the flywheel is the crank seal on the 4e is smaller then the 5e one

THANKS, billybob, the thing you mentionned about the crankshaft seal is something that I missed. i didn't know. Rep to you, man.

if anything comes back to your mind, bring it up.
I think i now have a 5e-fhe crankshaft for sale.

Kevin123

Fresh Recruit
well...if u are building a 5e engine.....then u need to use a 5e crankshaft

you cannot mix up crankshafts ---hence 4e engine = 4e crankshaft

u can use the 5e clutch system and pressure plate ----just get a good clutch/pressure plate to match the 5e flywheel u have........measure it to make sure, see if its 200mm or 212mm clutch u need, and get the matching pressure plate also
Hi wht do I do if after replacing connecting rod bearing on the 5 E engine and it still knocking loud ?

Calum122

Member +
Hi wht do I do if after replacing connecting rod bearing on the 5 E engine and it still knocking loud ?
Turn up the stereo :cool:

Chances are, if you're replacing a bearing at the time of knock, the damage is already done and it'll need a regrind and oversized shell installed.