Which FCD

AdamB

Member +
The HKS alters the signal throughout the entire rev range, where as the JAM unit only becomes affective at and beyond fuel cut. Do not run a HKS unit without increased fuel pressure as it will be lean all the way through the rev range.

Crazy_eyes

Member +
ty

Thaanks for the advice, im making a shoping list to go TD04 just gotta get a bit at a time though as my starbo is just a weekend thing really

pilgrim_fgau

Member +
The HKS alters the signal throughout the entire rev range, where as the JAM unit only becomes affective at and beyond fuel cut. Do not run a HKS unit without increased fuel pressure as it will be lean all the way through the rev range.

He will still need compromised fueling with a jam fcd. If he is running an HKS FCD at least the AFRs will be reasonably good throughout the entire rev range whereas the jam fcd and a rrfpr will cause a rich mixture until the FCD clamps the signal. Better of with an ecu, but if needs must, get an HKS unit. So just want to extend from Adams post, you will still need a rrfpr with a jam FCD

AdamB

Member +
He will still need compromised fueling with a jam fcd. If he is running an HKS FCD at least the AFRs will be reasonably good throughout the entire rev range whereas the jam fcd and a rrfpr will cause a rich mixture until the FCD clamps the signal. Better of with an ecu, but if needs must, get an HKS unit. So just want to extend from Adams post, you will still need a rrfpr with a jam FCD

Oh yeah I agree, I just ment that I wouldn't like to run a unit which leans out the mixture throughout the entire rev range without fueling mods, where as a JAM unit could still be run at 0.7 bar without fueling mods although its pointless as the ECU is capable of sorting that out.

Texx

Super Moderator
It's not all about fuel! The PIM voltage from the MAP sensor is also used by the ECU to determine spark advance.

The JAM will not have any affect over ignition timing until it clamps the PIM voltage.

Where as the HKS will constantly have an affect ignition timing and this needs to be checked and double checked using some form of knock detection equipment.

Regardless of which type of FCD you decide to go for, AFR's need to be checked with a wideband AF gauge and you'll need to be sure the engine isn't suffering any detonation. Just remember a bit of extra fuel won't cause much of an issue, but significant detonation will destroy your pistons.