which pc??

Tanz

Lifer
Right guys looking for a few suggestions on a new pc/desktop,,will mainly be used for home and some work use..

Im think a mac pro???

What ye think??

Thanks

Tanya..

Last edited:

whiteglanzav

Member +
wotever computer you get make sure its an apple or if you have to get a normal lap top make sure its a good spec vaio :)

i have an imac desktop at home and a vaio laptop for work with the likes of word excel etc just cos its easier for compatibility with other computers

cant fault either of em for what ther needed and iv had the vaio for around 3-4 years with no problems and its still fast

mac computers are in a league of there own but ther a lot more expensive

dac69er

Super Moderator
for 90% of people a cheapo laptop is more than good enough. battery life is the most important thing i think. if all you are running is programs like word and excel then you dont need a good spec.

i have a dell for work and it seems pretty decent. rarely use it though!

Tanz

Lifer
wotever computer you get make sure its an apple or if you have to get a normal lap top make sure its a good spec vaio :)

i have an imac desktop at home and a vaio laptop for work with the likes of word excel etc just cos its easier for compatibility with other computers

cant fault either of em for what ther needed and iv had the vaio for around 3-4 years with no problems and its still fast

mac computers are in a league of there own but ther a lot more expensive

Ya ahh cheers for the feedback the Mac seems like the way to go alright,,cost doesn't bother me if the quality levels up to it..

Is there anything I should know about them before buying one or anything??

azerty

Supermoderator
Mac's are definitely a nice option in term of design and ergonomy

I used to be a PC user, until Vista came out...
I still have a pc which I use for mapping only.

Tanz

Lifer
for 90% of people a cheapo laptop is more than good enough. battery life is the most important thing i think. if all you are running is programs like word and excel then you dont need a good spec.

i have a dell for work and it seems pretty decent. rarely use it though!

Sorry i should of said its a desktop im looking for :)

I have never owned a Mac but from what I have heard they are very good for professionals but over kill for the ordinary user. I have a few friends that are serious computer geeks and they all say that if you don't mind paying the ridiculous price for one then by all means buy one but you can get the equivalent spec'd computer for half the price if you buy other brands

EDIT: When I say other brands Tanya, I am talking about other well known quality brands.

Last edited:

gv1.3

Admin
lol I was about to say steer clear of Sony and I personally dont like apple machines but Mr whiteglanzav may give me a hard time so Ill keep quiet hehe :)

I went to harvey normans when I was home recently as my father needed a new laptop fairly urgently for his business. I got a nice plain and simple Dell jobbie. Does everything he needed. Also got a cannon all in one printer/scanner/fax with WIFI. The lot came to about 900euro and I haggled with the lad for a while and got him down to 600 and odd, that was in nutgrove. I was never a big fan of harvey norman but they will do deals with you. I was in the harvey norman in blanchardstown recently too and picked up a 3D TV and blueray player and I think they came to something like 1650 and I got the lad down to 1240. Just kept saying "if you are not going to come down any further I will just leave it for a month or so and come back and buy it cheaper then...."

If you are prepared to haggle give them a blast.

(they also sell sony and apple machines..... )

I personally would give Apple the steam off my piss but that's not because I think their products are bad, I know they are top quality. It's because they charge WAY too much for basic spec'd products and although every company releases updated models for their products too often in my opinion, Apple are in a League of their own in this regard. All apple products are WAY over priced and significantly under spec'd when compared to other top brands whose quality are just as high. The extra money you pay for their products is used to fund the Apple's HUGE marketing department, which in turn thinks up of clever ways to get people to pay over the top for for their products

gv1.3

Admin
I would tend to agree with the comments above regarding Apple products. I dont have anything against the hardware, it works well and I own some of their products but their laptops/desktops are very very expensive in fairness. The laptop I am currently using is a HP touchsmart tx2. It costs $690 (about 520 euro) a year ago and was loaded out with features and equipment. It still does everything I need it to do and even at that if I wanted something more up to date this thing owes me nothing, I could bin it and buy another windows based machine for the same price and still wouldnt have spent what a MAC would have cost.

For business reasons I have to get a MAC laptop in the next couple of months and I will probably love it once I get one (maybe a macbook air) but if I had to pay for a computer myself I dont know if I could justify laying out the sort of cash they demand.

And whiteglanzav I am just messing around above - I know lots of people who use MACs and swear by the them - I dont question their performance or reliability just hard to justify the price.

Also Tanya - why a desktop?

dac69er

Super Moderator
I personally would give Apple the steam off my piss but that's not because I think their products are bad, I know they are top quality. It's because they charge WAY too much for basic spec'd products and although every company releases updated models for their products too often in my opinion, Apple are in a League of their own in this regard. All apple products are WAY over priced and significantly under spec'd when compared to other top brands whose quality are just as high. The extra money you pay for their products is used to fund the Apple's HUGE marketing department, which in turn thinks up of clever ways to get people to pay over the top for for their products

i have never had anything to do with anything from apple until my girlfriend got an iphone 4. it is an overhyped piece of crap. it does loads of completely pointless things, but when it comes to actually being a phone it fails miserably. seems all gimmicky and thats about it in my opinion.

gv1.3

Admin
ah Duncan... I dont think I could survive without my iPhone lol. It does everything I need it to and just works. As a phone its excellent, far more reliable than my nokia, battery life is good, business applications are great. The only thing I would have a hard time justifying is the price... Again if I had to buy a phone myself I dont know if I could stomach dropping that much money on a handset.

i have never had anything to do with anything from apple until my girlfriend got an iphone 4. it is an overhyped piece of crap. it does loads of completely pointless things, but when it comes to actually being a phone it fails miserably. seems all gimmicky and thats about it in my opinion.

I totally agree with you about the iPhone :haha:. I tell people its crap and they say "Its not boy, its brilliant, you should see all the apps it has". Apps??? What the f**k do you need apps on a phone for, I have the Nokia N8 for the last 6 months and it has NEVER given me a problem. It has a 12mp camera, it can record HD video in 720p, its has FREE voice guided GPS from the Nokia OVI maps which are brilliant, its touch screen, it has a HDMI output to connect directly to your TV and I got it for €80 on the basic internet & Talk tariff that vodafone do or you could have got it for €400 pay as you go and the iPhone was €600 at the same time.

Im not for one second saying other apple products are crap, their laptops and desktops are very good, just under spec'd and over priced but the iPhones are shit. The greatest piece of marketing of all time. I'm not joking, the apple marketing department could sell ice to the Eskimo's and sand to the Arab's :p

Gryzor

Admin
I.ve always liked www.komplett.ie they do a couple of pre-built pcs.. its always down to deciding how much u want to spend, then deciding what u need the pc for and then specing it to suit both these needs...

Tanz

Lifer
Ahh cheers lads so some good opinions there but am i any closer on knowing which to go for,,no,lol...

@ Dylan the reason I want a desk top is that we have laptops in the house but i like a good stationery computer the one we have is on its way out (have it few years now) and i want to invest in something with great specs etc and that can last the length of time,planning on working alot more from home and this is what i will want to be using it for..

By the way lads we also love iphones in this house,,i dont think id ever have another phone ,I honestly would be lost with out it,,and i definitely woudnt of being saying this about them a year ago but now i have one Im hooked....lol

Arnold

Lifer
make sure its a good spec vaio :)

Seriously? We bought one at work costing £3000 and it was SHIT. Went off for repair so many times! Also avoid HP / Compaq as they're pulling out of making PC's. Dell is probably your best bet for a PC. They're all made in china these days though so bit of a gamble which ones will be any good.

My opinion on Sony has gone down alot over the last few years I've had that many Sony products let me down ps3,docking stations,laptops, I'm even using my xbox now instead of the ps3 as I've had 4 of them go for mac imo