whistling nng noise

Monkfish

Member +
Leaking boost most likely from a vacuum/boost hose or you have a cracked manifold. Are you loosing any boost pressure of performance when this happens?

Adam_Glanza

Member +
sounds like leaking exhaust to me

thats wat happened when my decat was coming loose a tiny bit!

start it up and have a smell and feel around by the cat to mani joints etc

dac69er

Super Moderator
turbo bearing may be getting worn. the compressor wheel may just be kissing the housing and cuasing the whitle noise you can here.

Monkfish

Member +
turbo bearing may be getting worn. the compressor wheel may just be kissing the housing and cuasing the whitle noise you can here.

A nice theory, but surely if the bearing is that knackered the compressors would vibrate about and shit themselves, not accounting the huge plumes of smoke that would be belting out of the exhaust due to the failure of the oil seals?

dac69er

Super Moderator
A nice theory, but surely if the bearing is that knackered the compressors would vibrate about and shit themselves, not accounting the huge plumes of smoke that would be belting out of the exhaust due to the failure of the oil seals?

it aint theory mate. my turbo i had on my car when i got it was the same. its something that happens as the turbo starts to get worn out naturally.

dac69er

Super Moderator
and yes the oil seals will eventually go. mine lasted a year with that sound then they went. not really badly but still worn out

scott_glanzav

Member +
mine sounds like a banshee lol and iam lucky 2 get 20 mph at the mo cant get prop look till the weekend but nearly sure its leakin turbo 2 mani.but didnt think it wuld make my car loose that amount of power.

if its whistling and lack of performance , then more than likly a split boost pipe ...... check your joiners on fmic/tmic. i dont think you would find it that hard to accelerate if it was the turbo (unless seized) but then its unlikely the car would start down to too mcuh back pressure

HutchGlanzaV

Member +
Mine whistles on boost too, only started doing it after my fmic was fitted. A guy on here (can't remember who) told me the the autobahn fmic's make a whistling sound on boost, is that right? I'm not losing any performance that I've noticed either.

Monkfish

Member +
it aint theory mate. my turbo i had on my car when i got it was the same. its something that happens as the turbo starts to get worn out naturally.

I stand corrected!

mine sounds like a banshee lol and iam lucky 2 get 20 mph at the mo cant get prop look till the weekend but nearly sure its leakin turbo 2 mani.but didnt think it wuld make my car loose that amount of power.

You'd be surprised. I had a crack in my manifold, was only boosting to 0.5-0.6 bar rather than 1.0 bar and lost 30 odd BHP. Check for sooty marks around the manifold. Also check the head-manifold gasket, manifold-turbo gasket and turbo-downpipe gasket. You might want to crack the downpipe off and just check that there is no damage to the exhaust impeller or wastegate. Mine exhaust impeller shit itself and the result was no boost and a supercharger like scream.

Mine whistles on boost too, only started doing it after my fmic was fitted. A guy on here (can't remember who) told me the the autobahn fmic's make a whistling sound on boost, is that right? I'm not losing any performance that I've noticed either.

It's possible if the fins are small in the FMIC. I wouldn't rule out a pinhole in the FMIC or pipework though. It might not be enough to loose pressure or power, but it could scream when you force ~1bar through it.

:)

Last edited: