Whistling noise but i still have boost

cneculae

Member +
Hey guys
I have a 1992 4E-FTE (EP-82) with stock internals. IM running 8 psi of boost and so far aside from a a valve cover gasket leak its been great.
So i noticed a whining noise when the turbo spools up past 2500 rpm. I have seen similar problems to mine on TGTT but the difference was that they were not getting any boost.
For the record my car still boosts at 8 psi but it just has a whistling noise.
I have the standard top mount inter cooler and the stock ct9 with the stock exhaust manifold.

I took off the pipe that between the turbo and the inter cooler and listened to the turbo. I revved the engine up and it sounds like the noise is coming from the turbo. It still pushes out air because i put my hand to it and i felt pressure but the noise is just irritating.
SO again Inter cooler piping is all good.
Im thinking that it could be
1. a bad gasket between the manifold and the turbo
2. A cracked exhaust manifold
3. Or the turbo has blown a seal or something like that

For the record i have already blown a turbo before when i down shifted from 5th to 3rd while going 80 mph. (STUPID I know) When i blew it it made the same whining noise.

I hope i have covered everything about the issue guys
So any suggestions would be great.

Cheers
Cristian

cneculae

Member +
I bought it used online from dome guy in Florida. It worked fine for about 4 years but i only drove the car about 1 year (about 11,000 miles) of those 4 since i had to do a top end rebuild (new seals, cleaned head, new head gasket etc).
Also is it difficult to rebuild the turbo?
And is it worth it or should i just invest in a TD04 set up?

Mental Mouse

Member +
My turbo is meshed and it whistles it's bag off on spool up and full boost, don't think it's anything to worry about tbh mate as I had my turbo off last weekend to port the wg and it looked brand new with the most minuscule of shaft play!

thefalls

Member +
Its common to have a whistling sound on boost when the stock air duct is loose on the turbo.

I used to have such a sound and when i tightened that jubilee clip then the whistling sound was gone.

Whether you have a relocated air filter or not,just have a look.

But its more common when having the stock air intake.