recently added sum mods to my glanza. the turbo was removed fitted
fmic
hks actuater
ss mani
ss decat
new filter
added breather filter on rocker cover as removed tmic piping

before i added the mods i noticed a bit of white smoke on tik over

but now it is pretty bad sat at mcdonalds drive through and could smell oil burning realy bad and it was pourin out white smoke, yet when the cars driven its ok it seams to only smoke on tick over.

im hopin its just oil seals in turbo as itl giv me a gud excuse to get tongs gt spec hybrid.

any ideas as to wots causin the smokage??

also when i had rocker cover off i noticed the cams had little chips on them anyone ever heard of this? as it seams unusal to be chiped there?

AdamB

Member +
When was the oil last changed? Did you inspect the oil? Chips on the cams isn't a good sign.
Are you sure its white smoke? Normally at idle with smoke its the valve stem seals, but this is blue smoke due to oil burning. White smoke indicates water, so it's probably best to do a compression test to rule out the engine. It does sound fairly turbo related though.

Nippon

Member +
When you changed the mani and downpipe did you take the radiator out for access?
Did you get coolant in the exhaust pipe?

i did this and had lots of white steam for a little while untill it evaporated. Didnt smell like oil but certainatly had a different smell from normal condensation.

starbophil

Fresh Recruit
oil been changed regular by me, not sure about previous owner, i only noticed the chips on cams because i took rocker cover off to spray. the car runs absolutly fine but im considering replacin cams as thers a pair on ebay 40 quid no chips.
as i said car rus perfect but still smokin the smoke does have a blue tinge and does smell of oil burning but its intermitant i notice it smokin on tik over quite bad i get it home to av a look at breather filter pcv valve etc and it stops only to giv it a litle rev and get a small cloud out then nothin. dump valve was a little oily but nothin bad.

im sure its not coolant in exhaust defo oil smell cheers for info tho mate

Every 4e cam I have seen has a little chip out the side of the odd lobe, I dont think its a problem something they do in manufacture.

starbophil

Fresh Recruit
realy, seams odd. the chips are as you said on side of lobes just hope the fragments havnt done any damage internally!

im sure the smoke problem must be turbo related.

can anyone describe symptoms of oil seal in turbo goin? would that cause intermitent smoke on tik over?

from what i understand if the stem seals are nakerd it would spu smoke on starting the engine and this definatly is not the case it stats with no smoke on after a run when i stop thats when it smokes thick blue tinged oily as hell!

bongskag

Member +
My turbo was gone , I replaced it yesterday. now its fine the symptoms were.

little or no smoke on tickover untill revving , then when driving it was fine untill I let off and then got back on the power It would let out a cloud of blue smoke. , as oil was getting past the exhaust seal,

It was fun when a ponce tailgates in a convertable. I would just change down and let them have it :)