White smoke

Kushal

Member +
hey guys..guess i need some help..

last sunD i had a prob with my starlet..
started it normally in the mornig..with a little amount of white smoke coming out..
@ first i thought it was due to condensation..then i realised it couldn't be..
opened the bonnet and there was oil all over coming from the dump valve..

after reading so many threads on white smoke.came to a conclusion that it was the turbo..normal CT9

so got an hybrid CT9 from a friend(he's been using it with no probs on his glanza for almost 3months, then he upgraded to a TD04..so the hybrid been sleeping for like 5months)..he's is damn sure the turbo is fine..

fited it on my car on wednesday night n went for a ride..on high speed on 5th gear there was almost no smoke..but when slowing down and accelerating again and keeping 5th gear..there was quite a little amount of smoke..
mechanic said it mayB from left over oil in piping and intercooler..

cleaned the intercooler yesterday n fited it 2day mornig n went for a ride to burn out all the left over oil..after about 10kilometers..i realised fumes wasnt stopping..n if am not wrong its even more..

going to see the mechanic tomorrow..

so ppl..would like to knw wat u think could possible be the problem..
my frend's says he's 90% sure the CT9 hybrid is fine..

btw jst before i had this prob at 1st..i had unpluged the turbo assy.pressure sensor..for some reasons..n pluged it back after i installed a grounging wire kit..

cheers..hope to get some help from u ppl..

Kushal

Last edited:

Kushal

Member +
not sure buddy..

bt the frend from whom i took the turbo says it was runnig fine..

could it be an oil piping bloked smwhere?

Kushal

Member +
apart from the fume..would it be running fine?
or would be like hopping or watever(am not getting the word in english..sorry)...

coz mine runs completly fine apart from oil getting out from the BOV and the white smoke..
rep added..

gurrturbo

Member +
is it definatly white smoke not a little bit of blue? white smoke sounds like water.... hopping?..... as in miss firing?... not if it was the valve stem seals or the turbo. sound like valve stem seals tho bud. is it using water? or just oil??? if its oil i would put it down to the valve stem seals. does it only do it after de-acclerating???

Kushal

Member +
there was a bit of blueish this morning..

after decceleration it was only after the turbo was fitted n went to test it..
bt now its doing it all the time..

i knw its not the work..
its kindda missfiring...nah it doesnt do it.runs fine..

rich23silk

Member +
i had the same prob m8 but mine was the valve stem seals i changed my turbo prior to it happening so i knew it was not that, if ur friends turbo is good then its more likeley to be the stem seals as the oil left in the pipes should have burnt of by now,

Kushal

Member +
do guys knw the price of those?

will have a look at it 2morrow @ the valve stem seals ..
cheers..
Kushal

rich23silk

Member +
tbh its a big job the 16 valvesneed to be removed with the 16 springs, to release them is tricky too as you need to remove the collets, with all this out the way u can get to the stem seals i would be %100 sure it is the stem seals first before doing it and also make sure the mechanic is good,as this aint no quick change job,

Last edited:

Kushal

Member +
i'v done a compression test today, and all the cylindrs are working fine(all of them on 12)..
wats the chance it is the turbo thats gone?
could it be the pcv valve blocked?

Kushal

Member +
hey guys..i've rebuilt my old CT9 turbo..

1.compression test done on all 4 cylinders..150 psi..
2.new turbo fixed
3.PCV valve checked..working fine..

but still after more than 50KM of driving there's still white smoke..
oil passing trough intercooler and coming out of dump valve..

ppl pls help..
what could b doing this?:confused::confused:
am confused...
rep will be added..

cheers

Kushal

Member +
its not like small amount of smoke..
its like huge amount of white smoke..
like the smoke machine they used in a theatre..

my muffler has got like a black greasy stuff inside..

Kushal

Member +
i removed my oil catch tank and returned to stock installation..
and there was no more white smoke..

can some1 plz explain?

Chris.Stewart

Member +

can some1 plz explain?

what catch tank set up do you have?

i've had the same problem as you with turbos recently, just wandering if my catch can will have anything to do with my problems?!

i had loads of oil in the intercooler pipes but its all cleaned out now, got a turbo that was working perfectly the last time it was used, new gaskets all round etc so if i still get smoke it might be down to my catch can set up?!

jjayokocha

Ulster Area Rep
i get a lot of white smoke when the temp goes up to 80 but only if i take off from still. there is no oil in fmic and i aint loosing any water so maybe slightly overfuelling or nt enough air gettin in?

turboflow

Member +
i had a car with a shagged turbo and it took a few miles before it stopped smoking completely as it was still burning some shit off from in the exhaust

turboflow

Member +

can some1 plz explain?

i heard the other day that if the catch can is not breathable then the hot gases have nowhere to go and are trapped but inturn are forced into the exhaust system