White Smoke

xxjack189

Member +
Hi. my car is smoking quite a bit on idle. no smoke when driving but when i stop white smoke pours out of the exhaust. sometimes it dosnt and sometimes its a lot. now i figured at first it was blown turbo seals. so i put on abrand new turbo and still no change. any ideas?

Nickzorz

Member +
Is there more when you start the car up for the first time in the cold than when you've been driving it and pull up to some lights when its warm?

Do you have a decat?

My old proton had a side exit exhaust with no cat and when u start it up on a cold day it would bellow out white smoke (as well as some severe tappet noise)

I wouldnt worry about it, maybe give it a service.

xxjack189

Member +
yeah. definetley a lot more when its cold. yeah iv got a decat on. its just had an oil and filter change last week.

Nickzorz

Member +
Without a cat makes a big difference. As long as there is less when the engines warmed up ypu shouldnt need to worry, as long as your car feels like it should as well.

You will probably find that in the summer when its warmer you wont be able to see any.

However im only talking from experience im no expert but i expect most poeple will say "dont worry its fine" its the black/blue smoke u gotta be worried about

AdamB

Member +
I wouldn't say only be worried about black and blue smoke. White smoke can mean bad things also. But seeing as the weather is cold, it's not much to worry about, unless it bellows out smoke when the engine is upto temperature.

Adirondack

Fresh Recruit
Yea much better idea start checking the small stuff first :)

From on-site wiki:

Possible Problems
• Fine blue (compressor seal on turbo)
• Distinctive blue (Valve stem seals
• Fine white (water check levels and head gasket, PCV valve)
• Thick white (Turbo seals on exhaust side)
• Piston rings

turbo head

Munster Area Rep.
seen this smoke the other day jack out of your car and i wouldnt worry its the cold weather the last few days mine is the exact same

corofin12345

Member +
dont go near the pcv valve unless your going changing it.. it breaks so easily its stupid, like glass.. after gutting my cat my car blows white smoke at idle the whole time.. lots when cold