who runs a bov and who blocks theres off?

ive currently got a hks ssqv bov but im thinking of putting a blocking pipe on, i know i kills the turbo off quicker but just want to know how many people have done this and what you think of it?

Ant

Member +
I'm running mine blocked at the moment, but soon will be putting on a bov. The flutter sounds great but to detrement of the turbo's life span...each to their own as always!

AdamB

Member +
It's very rare that a turbo will go due to not running a blow off valve, more likely the oil seals will fail first.
I haven't run one because I like the sound of compressor surge, but that was only on a ct9, if I was going to run big boost then a bov is a must for me anyway.

It's very rare that a turbo will go due to not running a blow off valve, more likely the oil seals will fail first.
I haven't run one because I like the sound of compressor surge, but that was only on a ct9, if I was going to run big boost then a bov is a must for me anyway.

yeh this is my problem, just had forged engine put in running td04 at 1.2low and 1.5high so think i need the bov really, it does sound good tho, wish i had done it when i had the ct9 now, owel

Gilly2006

Member +
depends on my mood but at the moment as from monday im running with it on. but i will block the vacuum hose up and then run with it closed.

dan-gt

Member +
No factual proof that not using a bov mate its all personal preference and has many mixed views but as said there no existing proof that they are deprimental to Turbos

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Run my ct9 for 2 years with no bov, now have hybrid for a year with no bov no prob's..

tbh i cant find a bov i like the sound of...

Run my ct9 for 2 years with no bov, now have hybrid for a year with no bov no prob's..

tbh i cant find a bov i like the sound of...

Hard to find a nice sounding bov i have run my ct9 with no bov for nearly 3 years with no problems either. Some people like it some people dont.

jayc-glanza17

Fresh Recruit
im running a forged 4e with td04 for over a year with no bov at 1.2bar, no issues.
getting mapped tomorrow with new inlet and boost at 1.4, and still wont have a bov.
its just another thing that could play up as mine did b4, took it off had had no issues in that area since.

George611

Member +
BOV's sound rubbish IMO! cant stand the tweeting sound much rather have abit of chatter :) sounds soooo much better.

craigant

Member +
just put a longer bolt in the ssqv so it cant open, then if you change your mind just loosen the bolt abit and it will dump again.

Rev

Member +
Being Auto box I can accelerate on positive boost through the gears an not open the pcv valve at all. Now I have hks super sqv allows boost revs/boost drop more at gear changes than my pevious blow off valve. I get a more venting of the crankcase etc as the pcv valve opens which for me is a good thing as I am in a high humidity area.
I guess manual cars don't have this need for a blow off valve as revs drop naturally using a manual clutch.

craigant

Member +
Can you get a pic? mine doesn't have a bolt!
Maybe you have a newer ssqv with no bolt?
HKS%20SSQV.jpg