Why cant i acess the forums from my computer?

Corleone

Member +
Any one have any idea or experience on this?

I can normally sought out my computer problems but this one is odd.

I cant access this forum from my network at all. There never use to be an issue until about a week ago. I can access from my iphone if its not connected to my Wifi, but any computer on my network cant access it. Its odd because I havent found another website that I cant log on to!

Ive tried deleting history/cookies/temp files, but have had no luck so far. Tried different browsers and disabling AVG etc.

Im stuck!

Try disabling the firewall on the router, it must be blocking connection to the site. Wont have anything to do with your computer if your iPhone cant access it when its connected to the router.
The common denominator is the router so start there. What happens if you connect with a ethernet cable to the router??
Christy

Corleone

Member +
Both wireless and cables have the same issue. Will check the router when i get home. As I am accessing the forum from a friends computer as iphone takes years to write replys!

Corleone

Member +
Had a look at my router firewall and windows firewall. I cant find exceptions or anything like that. Have tried accessing many other forums and stuff but I cant seem to find any other that I cant access or anything!

No idea whats going on!

gv1.3

Admin
I had the exact same issue with a netgear router.

It turned out that the ISP was blocking requests for one particular site because of the MAC address of the router.

Try this...

On the computer you are using go to start/run and type cmd and press enter

at the command prompt type ipconfig /all and press enter

Write down the "Physical Address"

Go into your routers config and go to basic settings.

In "Router Mac Address" select "use this mac address" and type in the physical address you wrote down

Select apply and restart the router and try access the site

This is a known issue with netgear routers.

Corleone

Member +
tried the above and just ended up not being able to access the Internet I'm afraid!

The router is a netgear wgr614v9 if it's any help.

Corleone

Member +
My computer is plugged into the router via a cable.

The router then is connected to the virgin media box. I cannot get a connection if I try and connect directly into the virgin media box.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
you should be able to.

shut the PC and set top box / cable modem down.

take the ethernet cable from the WAN port of the router (the cable coming from the virgin cable modem) and plug in into the ethernet port on your PC.

turn on the set top box, wait for the RDY and SYNC lights to go solid.

switch on pc and try to connect to the net.

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
My computer is plugged into the router via a cable.

The router then is connected to the virgin media box. I cannot get a connection if I try and connect directly into the virgin media box.

what i meant was you on cable or ADSL broadband? being on Virgin i am assuming cable (ie fibre optic, not over the phone lines)

Ian_w

Member +
If you unplug your modem from the router and into your PC. You need to power cycle your modem because it can only store 1 MAC address. Unplug it from the wall for about 15 seconds. Then when you turn it on again it'll relearn a fresh MAC from the PC.