Wi-fi problems?

lingl9z

Member +
Basically when using the laptop I connect to my net via wi-fi rather than ethernet and it works fine for sometimes a good few hours other times like 5mins then it's like its connected, has full signal but doesnt send or recieve anything, but when I turn off and turn on the wi-fi router it works fine again,

Anyway of fixing this? or isit a case of turning on and off every 5mins?

Arnold

Lifer
Some netgear one as you have said lol :)

I personally would buy another one from a different make. I've got a US Robotics one (USR9111) and it's an excellent piece of kit. There's probably newer ones out now. Belkin are also quite good!

addz

Member +
Hmm rather strange.

I would have a Netgear over Belkin any day.

Is it a white Netgear? Mine come with virgin media and can't fault it.

Also is it configured ok on the laptop for example is it a permanent connection or connect when in range sort.

lingl9z

Member +

Cheers buddy will have a look at it :)

Hmm rather strange.

I would have a Netgear over Belkin any day.

Is it a white Netgear? Mine come with virgin media and can't fault it.

Also is it configured ok on the laptop for example is it a permanent connection or connect when in range sort.

Yeah it's a white Netgear one, not sure how its configured tbh! my network is a bit messy net goes from wall to router, to vonage box to network switch to a wi-fi router ! any idea how to check?

addz

Member +
Erm difficult to say as my Sony laptop is downstairs.

Go on the 'my computer' on the right side you will see 'my network places' then 'view network connections'.. right click on the appropriate looking connection 'properties' and have a ganda to see if everything looks kosher.

Sorry if i've got it wrong as I'm user ethernet

lingl9z

Member +
Erm difficult to say as my Sony laptop is downstairs.

Go on the 'my computer' on the right side you will see 'my network places' then 'view network connections'.. right click on the appropriate looking connection 'properties' and have a ganda to see if everything looks kosher.

Sorry if i've got it wrong as I'm user ethernet

Likewise I usually use Ethernet but thats only on my pc, I've also got a sony laptop only problem is its got windows 7 and ive no idea whats what on this lol, the network things totally different to my pc, ill try and figure it out cheers matey, rep =]

addz

Member +
Hope you get it sorted matey as networking can be a pain.

Mozilla firefox ftw. Cheers for rep!

gv1.3

Admin
Have a look online and see if there is a firmware update for your router. Usually in the router config there will be a check for update option give this a try.

Also what you are saying is happening sounds very much like your router might be brodcasting on the same channel as another router and being interfered with. In the router config have a look and see if you can change the channel it is operating on. Change it, restart the router and connect again and see what happens.

PS Belkin are also cheap and shite... your netgear is as good as a belkin so stick with it. If you are going to move on to something for reliability spend some money otherwise stick with what you have and get it working.

lingl9z

Member +
cheers guys litrally just changed alot of settings and tried a firmware update but it couldnt find a newer version so I went to the netgear site got it manually and now it's not had a problem in the last 2hours or so, so hopefully this is sorted =][