Will teh gearbox be dead?

steve-gers

Member +
OK before I start this I would like to say yes I know I am very stupid haha.

The problem is I have just fitted an externally gated TD04 kit with screamer to my AUTO starlet. The main problem is that one of the rubber cooler lines from the box to the radiator goes directly under the screamer. Now that is fine providing I don't go on boost until I get a heat shield made up, but where's the fun in that? Anyway trying not to do so my friend tried to overtake me in his glanza and it would of been unsporting not to give it some beans. I did so and thought all was fine afterwards at 60 until it started slowing and slowing until I has no drive at all. Pulled over, gearbox oil everywhere so got the car trailered home. Now after reading a few things online it's a 50/50 split whether it will be ok(ish) once re-filled with oil or not. Some say that as the box relies on oil pressure to work that if it runs out then you get no drive but a mile or 3 won't kill it. Other say it will already be dead. Any opinions or theory's welcome, I will be converting to manual soon anyway but not planning to do it this soon so hopefully will manage to limp with the auto for another month or 2 yet.

Texx

Super Moderator
Chances are it'll go again with some fresh fluid in it, it may develop a few odd noises but I wouldn't expect the thing to have died completely.

steve-gers

Member +
Cheers, I can deal with a few odd clunks and bangs as long as it's only from the box haha. I will report back with the results tomorrow when I fix the pipe and fill her up with fresh oil for future reference.