Will you get the same benfits of porting standard manifold over upgraded manifold

thechomper

Member +
right ive recently been working on my turbo only to find 2 nice cracks in my upgraded mild steel manifold ,can't afford to buy a new one ,i still have the standard one which is 18 years old and still not even a a hairline crack on it,will you still get the same benefits from porting the standard manifold ,or should i just get the cracks welded on the upgraded manifold

thefalls

Member +
The stock one fairs well when ported and upto 1bar on ct9 its fine. No one has done a flow test comparing an uprated one to the stock ported mani. If finances r low a stock ported mani will do. It is said that after porting they have a tendency to crack. Well few people have complained so far. All in all its a good mod. Go for it.

Skalabala

Member +
To be honest a standard manifold should be able to flow even better than a mild steel manifold if ported by a pro.

thechomper

Member +
To be honest a standard manifold should be able to flow even better than a mild steel manifold if ported by a pro.

unfortunitly mate im not a pro and it will be done by me ,is it just runner 3 that needs to be ported on the standard mani ,is there any point in getting the mild steel rewelded were the cracks are or is that a waste of time,car was running 1.2 bar on a hybrid but is currently back on the ct9 ,while i get the hybrid repaired

S1MSGTT

Member +
Was just looking for advice on porting my stock manifold as the heads off being skimmed anyway when I came accross this thread. Im only running around .75 bar so prob wont port whole manifold, ill just remove the restriction in runner 3. I think this is the cause of my headgasket failure as it was cyl 3 that was letting in water.
Does anyone else have veiws/ experiences on it cracking after removing the restriction? or will it actually make the manifold last a bit longer?
There seems to be a conflict of opinions lol

Skalabala

Member +
unfortunitly mate im not a pro and it will be done by me ,is it just runner 3 that needs to be ported on the standard mani ,is there any point in getting the mild steel rewelded were the cracks are or is that a waste of time,car was running 1.2 bar on a hybrid but is currently back on the ct9 ,while i get the hybrid repaired

Bud it will cost you almost nothing to weld it. I am sure there are members on this forum that will do it for you for free :)