wireless internet probs

Gilly2006

Member +
just bought a macbook which is an awesome bit of kit, anyway it reconises my wireless router, but it asks me for a DNS password, now i have put in what i think is the password but it just says connection time out.
anyone got any thoughts?
Thanks mj

kieran.s gt

Member +
sound,s like your entering the wrong passkey

disable the pass key in your router settings and see if it will work then

Last edited:

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
yeah, as when you enter a pass key even if its notg ood it will look like its ok but youl have the wrong settings, try disabling the password or change the password and make sure your typing it good.

Gilly2006

Member +
no its not the password, i put in the password ok, problem is my router i think, i was on the phone to sky my service provider, and we changed some settings and he said i have to phone mac, and some1 on the mac forum said it was the service providers fault and surgested i changed my router.

gv1.3

Admin
if its asking for DNS settings that has nothing to do with WEP or security in general. IF you can specify DNS servers manually use something like 4.2.2.1 as primary and 213.233.128.1 as secondary. These are both open DNS servers and should work fine without any passwords.

D

Gryzor

Admin
yep thats true about the open DNS though the router should have the DNS preconfigured...so you could just point at the router for dns (normally it defaults to 192.168.1.1 I think) , the macbook network assistant seems to be rubbish and your better doing it without the assistant.

Sorry havent been at my computer for a while.

Well first we need to establish if your router has internet going through it. So I would link your macbook up with the ethernet cable and test your internet connection then.
If it doesnt work with the cable your router needs configured as in go onto the router page and run the seup wizard entering your broadband username and password.
Did this router ever work?? If so then your router settings may have changed, so you could reset your router (via little pin hole at the back)
and set it up again.
Do you have any other computers in the house if so are they working??
Also try what Dylan advised above ^^^^
Christy