Wont start

turboflow

Member +
Hi all,

I have just done a head-gasket on my EP82 and it wont start....... i have checked the spark plugs/ht leads timing is correct and a diagnostic test that say no fault (it continuously flashes) it tries..... the compression on no1 is 100 no2 75 no3 100 no4 80....what do you think.... i had the head completely re-done and didn't touch the block....please help been working on it since Sunday... thanks

dac69er

Super Moderator
doesnt sound good mate. either your valve timing is out, your clearances could be a bit wrong or you have piston/ring damage!

turboflow

Member +
this it what i think as have tried again on timing and still wont turn over....compression is reading lower think i need to sleep then go again tomorrow....could someone put a link to the guide for me please or put a guide up .. thanks for the help guys

350ep70gr

Member +
You got a serious compresion issue dude.An engine with 100psi is at the limit to start or not. If it was a known good runing block first thing i would check would be cam timing and valve clearences. It is very unusual for the block to fail accross all 4 cylinders.Was a good compresion tester?Even on cold engine you should see at least 150 psi. If it is proven it isnt a comp issue or valve clearence/cam timing then connect the ground wire at the end of the plenum at the one of the two bolts of the idle valve as this is a common mistake.
P.s. Feel free to ask anything you are not sure about by pm anytime dude. Hope you find the cause soon!

Chris

weeJohn

Lifer
When you say you had the head done, did you check the valve clearances after to see if the valves are all closing when the cam lobe is off them?

A bit more info might help, like what all work was carried out, is it turning over but not catching fire, is it not turning over, is it running for a second then cutting out?

turboflow

Member +
I bought a head and it didnt come with cams or shims so i had it skimmed and and had the shims cut down to be the correct fitment and the valves re-seated.....

It turns over and try's to start BUT wont just keeps turning but not firing

turboflow

Member +
I am saying that i am not 100% on the timing and i refuse to believe there is anything wrong with my pistons as they are not standard for starters and they were new 3years ago

weeJohn

Lifer
Pulling the head back off to pull a piston is the last option, you have plenty more to check 1st. Are the plugs wet after you try and start it? If they are, leave them out near a heat source for a while until they completely dry out. In the meantime check over the cam and ignition timing is correct and see if you are actually getting a decent spark. If not then check the king lead connections and plug lead positions, the distributor rotor arm and cap condition, and the electrical plugs are all on on the dizzy and coilpack and the coilpack is well bolted onto the bulkhead, it needs to be earthed.

AdamB

Member +
The checking of ignition and other components isn't going to sort the lack of compression the engine has.
Have you had a timing light check the ignition timing? Did you have a wide open throttle when doing the compression test?

Texx

Super Moderator
My guess would be you have a valve timing issue.

Pull the upper timing belt cover off and check the cam timing marks are aligned when the crank pulley mark is at 0:

4etimingmarks.png

If the cam timing marks are out, pull the lower cover off and check if the crank sprocket timing marks are aligned, if not rotate the crank until they are and then recheck the cam timing marks:

4etimingmarks1.png

If the cam timing is out, remove the belt, align the cam marks by turning the cam sprocket bolt, pull the cam cover off and then check the cam gear marks are aligned:

cammarks.png

If the cam gear marks are not aligned, you'l need to remove the exhaust cam. Remove both cam seal caps, install the service bolt into the front of the intake cam gear, remove the exhaust cam caps in the order of E5>E2>E4>E3, lift up the exhaust cam, rotate the intake cam to align the gear marks, reinstall the exhaust cam and caps in the order of E3>E4>E2>E5 and torque the bolts to 13Nm, then remove the service bolt. Clean up the cam seal caps, apply fresh sealer and also torque them to 13Nm.

Double check both the cam and crank timing marks are aligned, reinstall the timing belt, turn the crank 6 times and then finally recheck all the above timing marks. If all is good, reinstall the cam and timing belt covers, cross your fingers, kick it in the nuts and hope she fires.

turboflow

Member +
Thanks all so much for all the help but did the timing and it was spot on bolted it back up and she still wont fire up...........:mad: so decided to take the head off again and asses the situation with the valves and pistons....its now off and pistons are tdc so thats great the valves have a slight shine on a corner where they were having contact with the pistons BUT they are not bent..... so where to go from here is another question...there was a lot of coolant in the block but i guessed that was where i took the head off and didnt fully drain it....any more suggestions???