wont start :(

bongskag

Member +
:rolleyes:

I get in and turn the key , but nothing happens at all, Ignition lights come on fine, then when i go to stage 3 all the power dies..

I havent had a problem with the starter before and now it wont try to start, left it since sunday disconnected the battery and tried it today. but still the same problem. Its like the immobilizer is on. ( but it is disarmed as usual )

battery is at 11.4v

list of cables to check ?

AdamB

Member +
Is it cranking? Or do you just get dash lights and nothing else?
As said check the fuses would be the first port of call :)

bongskag

Member +
yes the dash lights are on, turn the key. and then the gauges and all bulbs go dead, I will check the fuses when I get back home from work, ( walking :(

or maybe a relay somewhere ?

thanks for the fast replys!

Blak_Mamber

Member +
Get a multimeter out and check if the battery volts drop when you try and start it... shoukdnt go below like 10 volts when under load or it wont start :)

bongskag

Member +
its on around 10 volts under-load, would the starter not even try to turn the engine if it was a little bit low?
as I said before its at about 11.4 v right now
thanks.

Texx

Super Moderator
You may be reading more than 10v, but it's the amount of current that can be drawn from the battery that will dictate whether the starter motor will turn or not. If you try and start the engine with the headlights switched on, do they stay illuminated or do they dim out?

bongskag

Member +
definite starter motor problem, connected it up with jump leads and the gear pops out but doesn't spin.

anyone else had this problem ? tried whacking it with a rubber mallet on the motor part but no joy !

just going to the local jap motors place now, wish me luck trying to get one !

thanks for all the reply's guys I was really hoping it was a fuse :homer:

weeJohn

Lifer
Is there voltage getting to the big connection when you try it? The small connection makes the gear come out, the big one feeds the motor.

bongskag

Member +
the two contacts had +positive the one on the back was - negative

DSCF9585.jpg

bongskag

Member +
turns out it was the starter relay ! I used the one out of my aircon relays below the main fuse box as I dont have aircon. a black one,

I miss diagnosed it. must not have had a good connection with the jump leads on the possitive. so always check the relays as well as fuses. as was stated by fellow members. Where do you buy relays from anyway ? toyota? and what causes them to go ?

this is the first time Ive had one go :)