Xr2 Project (window fitting help?)

lingl9z

Member +
Me and a mate are slowly but surely rebuilding his Xr2 fiesta to its former glory which is proving to be a pain in the arse, I know this isnt a 'Ford' site butDon't suppose you guys know the easiest way of getting windows back in? as we've got full perspex for the car bar the windscreen and finding it awkwud to get them back in?

Picture048.jpg

Picture045.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture023.jpg

lingl9z

Member +
im not here to help, but just to say, looks like a sweet project, gd luck with it

Cheers buddy, taking bloody ages! we don't know shit all about electrics and the alarm/room is all shit lol... so can't get power to the starter atm =[

dac69er

Super Moderator
easiest way would be to get a window bloke in.

get someone independant so they wont rip you off. shouldnt cost you alot to get then all back in.

lingl9z

Member +
easiest way would be to get a window bloke in.

get someone independant so they wont rip you off. shouldnt cost you alot to get then all back in.

Cheers buddy, any idea of a rought price?, strange as we got the windows in and out before but now it seems to be proving difficult!

pkn

Member +
have you tried washing up liquid round the rubber seals and put the windows in with wire?

toyobaz

Member +
should really bond and bolt them in
in the event of a crash and deformation of the bodywork they could fly out and either hit you or some innocent bystander
the difference with glass is that it is more likely to break

pkn

Member +
should really bond and bolt them in
in the event of a crash and deformation of the bodywork they could fly out and either hit you or some innocent bystander
the difference with glass is that it is more likely to break

mk2 fiesta's don't have bonded windows,just a rubber seal

lingl9z

Member +
Yeah just has a rubber seal, what would be easiest putting the window in the rubber seal and trying to fit it, or putting the seal around on the car and then getting the window in?

Cheers.

drew-turbo

Member +
you use string put the string all the way round the rubber inside. then somehow pull the string and the rubber goes over the window.

sorry for the lack of detail cant remember 100% how it was done

pkn

Member +
Yeah just has a rubber seal, what would be easiest putting the window in the rubber seal and trying to fit it, or putting the seal around on the car and then getting the window in?

Cheers.

put the seal on the window,lube round the seal with the washing up liquid and wrap the seal inner lip with wire or pvc coated washing line with enough extra to have some wire to pull on,hook the seal lip on to the window aperture at the bottom and get a helper to push on the window near to where the wire sticks out(inside the car)while you pull one one side of the wire,that should pull the inner seal lip over the window aperture and that's it. the flatter the glass the easier to fit so start with the rear side windows or the boot lid for practice

lingl9z

Member +
put the seal on the window,lube round the seal with the washing up liquid and wrap the seal inner lip with wire or pvc coated washing line with enough extra to have some wire to pull on,hook the seal lip on to the window aperture at the bottom and get a helper to push on the window near to where the wire sticks out(inside the car)while you pull one one side of the wire,that should pull the inner seal lip over the window aperture and that's it. the flatter the glass the easier to fit so start with the rear side windows or the boot lid for practice

Cheers for that buddy will give that a go when I get down next, so to break it down.

1. Seal on window
2. Lube the seal
3. put string around the seal and in to the car.
4.line up and pull string from inside?
i know
i meant its far safer to bond them in, weather there is rubber seals or not

If I was to bond the windows would I get rid of the seal and simply use some kind of silicon or something, or is there a special type?

Rep to all!

pkn

Member +
Cheers for that buddy will give that a go when I get down next, so to break it down.

1. Seal on window
2. Lube the seal
3. put string around the seal and in to the car.
4.line up and pull string from inside?

If I was to bond the windows would I get rid of the seal and simply use some kind of silicon or something, or is there a special type?

Rep to all!

yeah thats right, as for bonding forget it, the glass isn't made big enough to bond it.as for the the glass bonder it's a special type not silicone:eek::haha:

toyobaz

Member +
yeah thats right, as for bonding forget it, the glass isn't made big enough to bond it.as for the the glass bonder it's a special type not silicone:eek::haha:

they are using perspex windows !!

dont use glass bond on perspex it will damage it

slilcaflex 291 is what you should use

lingl9z

Member +

Haha cheers for clearing that up buddy, will give the string trick ago, seems like it makes alot more sence than what we was trying to do lol.

dont forget to throw a few pics up of the finish project, love these wee cars

Haha will do, god knows how long its going to take, my mates a bit backwards... he buys 'mods' rather than the important parts... lol.

dont use glass bond on perspex it will damage it

slilcaflex 291 is what you should use

Cheers buddy if the good old string tech don't work may try and bond.!

pkn

Member +

perspex windscreen???:haha: as for the other windows it will look shit(glass bond or sicaflex visable through clear perspex),unoriginal and he will have to find a rubber seal strip with the correct curvature/size to try and tidy it up or cut the original seal which would be too much messing about and take longer

Last edited: