Yaris problem/questions!

350ep70gr

Member +
I have a 1500vvt-i yaris of my friend and have the following syptoms.
Drink a lot fuel, engine light on, when change to 4 very little power for accelaration. (Lazy)
The car has a new aftermarket catalyt converter,new lamda sensor,back box,free flow filter in the oem filter box and have been serviced before 2000km. No misfires no nothing else just lazy/poor respones and engine light on permantly.
I was told the error code was a faulty lamda sensor which was changed and ecu reseted. Also air/flow cleaned.But after a day the engine light come on again.

Any input is welcome. Dont know much about them.

They have one lamda sensor and catalyt temp sensor?
How to perform a diagnostic test if possible?The diagnostic plug is on the drivers feets.

Sorry for the long post and no starlet related!!!:p:p

Thanks in advance/rep is waiting ...

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
You'll need some form of scan tool to connect to the 16pin DLC connector to get the P codes out. Pretty sure you can't dump the codes out without a tester.

danturbo4311

Member +
You need an OBD 2 tester to read the codes you can pick them up cheap on ebay about £15, untill you no what the fault is your just guessing, what year is the car

350ep70gr

Member +
You need an OBD 2 tester to read the codes you can pick them up cheap on ebay about £15, untill you no what the fault is your just guessing, what year is the car

I dont know what year. I will check the licence for this.

You'll need some form of scan tool to connect to the 16pin DLC connector to get the P codes out. Pretty sure you can't dump the codes out without a tester.

I found a pdf document about reading the dtc without a scanner. More or less the way we check on starlets. But i dont know wich yaris dtc is reference to. Shall i try it or not?

Edit: how many wires on the lamda? Heated type?

Thanks for the inputs. Really seems like something is not o.k with the lambda sensors. Like overfuelling at low revs and make the car lazy.

Chris

350ep70gr

Member +

And the dignostic from toyota saw first catalut converter (who was changed)
and then lamda sensor (who was changed also).

Chris

Gtstu

Member +
Iv had problems with after market cats and 02 sensors before at work maybe thats the problem? like the others said need to see what faults are stored in the ecu with a scanner.

350ep70gr

Member +
Iv had problems with after market cats and 02 sensors before at work maybe thats the problem? like the others said need to see what faults are stored in the ecu with a scanner.

The new fault is again lamda 1 sensor (has two lamda sensors).

Chris

Texx

Super Moderator
It'll have a pre and post CAT Lambda sensor. Lambda 1 (pre CAT) would be the sensor the ECU uses to make adjustments and Lambda 2 (post CAT) is usually there so the ECU can confirm the CAT is working. Do both sensors look the same? If so, try swapping them round. You will most likely still have the engine MIL illuminated, but the engine may perform normally.

It's worth a try before spending more money on another sensor.

350ep70gr

Member +
It'll have a pre and post CAT Lambda sensor. Lambda 1 (pre CAT) would be the sensor the ECU uses to make adjustments and Lambda 2 (post CAT) is usually there so the ECU can confirm the CAT is working. Do both sensors look the same? If so, try swapping them round. You will most likely still have the engine MIL illuminated, but the engine may perform normally.

It's worth a try before spending more money on another sensor.

Thanks for this info! I will ckeck it asap! :kiss:

Chris

HYBRID

Super Moderator <a href="http://www.toyotagtturbo.
you may also want to check the airflow sensor chris, as when they go, the cause the engine light to go on & cause the problems ur saying is happeing to this vitz..

kon

350ep70gr

Member +
you may also want to check the airflow sensor chris, as when they go, the cause the engine light to go on & cause the problems ur saying is happeing to this vitz..

kon

Thanks kon. This was my first thout. I clean the mesuring wire and was really dirty/oily
with isoprppyl spray and now is clean and dry but dosent seem to have any difference. I will try to find another localy just to roule out this also.
Thanks again.

Chris

Mike_ep91

Member +
id nearly be 100% certain that it that its the air flow meter thats gone.got it checked at toyota and they told me that its a common fault on these cars. also,symptoms were very similar when i had the problem with my mothers yaris.