yet another smoke question once again..

dark_knight

Member +
tell me something, if i got a hot piece of flat metal and heated it to about 500~800 degrees (assuming normal turbo operating temps), then dropped fresh engine oil on it -- let's even get specific and go with 15w-40.. what color of smoke would the burning oil produce..? white..? gray perhaps..?

i would want to think so, because in similar conditions, of a hot turbo spooling hard, if there is an oil leak at the turbo itself (assuming perished seals) or post-turbo, won't the burned smoke be white/gray..? this is assuming your stem valve seals are ok and you are not burning coolant -- this seems to be to be the only explanation for an engine that was fine and is now smoking white..

Danza V :D

Member +
Burning oil would be blue.. on boost if it chucks it out then id think turbo.. on idle possible Valve stem seals.. check your intercooler piping :) Correct me if im wrong

dark_knight

Member +
cooler piping is misty with oil residue.. so i'm really suspecting the turbine.. but can't be too sure.. :/
#ihatethis!

Member +
A small film is normal in the intercooler.. aslong as it aint pouring out! does it chuck oit out on boost?? smoke on idle?

dark_knight

Member +
on occasion, it will smoke loads of white misty smoke on idle, at other times, nothing! mostly when the engine is hot (coolant temp of 85~92 & oil temp of 85~90 deg C).. and i've been told it's likely to be valve stem seals.. :/

Member +
Sounds like valve stem oil seals perished.. if its doing that on idle then its more than likley them :(.. check inside the inlet mani.. i had a mini a while back and it smoked like a train on idle and the valve stem oil seals were bairly there!! sounds like its them mate :(

Texx

Super Moderator
It's likely to be either worn exhaust valve stem seals/guides or oil leaking out from the exhaust side of the turbo.

dark_knight

Member +
i think it's possibly both or either of them too Texx. will have to wait until i go into the engine to check. thanks for all the feedback though. much appreciated..