Your Experience in the past 12 months

How reliable has your car been these past 12 months?

• Very reliable, couldnt ask for a better car

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Some basic issues you would expect on an older car

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • a bag of problems, I am about to throw the towel in

Votes: 5 10.9%
  • Some issues but are due to modifications I made

Votes: 11 23.9%

• Total voters

gv1.3

Admin
Hi all,

just wondering if your Toyota is as reliable as it is supposed to be. Now I know when you modify any car you can start to see reliability reduced but interesting to hear how reliable your car has been in the past 12 months.

Please vote and share any info you feel like about your cars reliability

madman

Member +
blew my engine after 200k on the clock with alot of that on a td04 at 1.2 bar and my heavy right foot but it was all fun and i couldnt of asked of much more from her she took alot of abuse :D

Texx

Super Moderator
The battery drained flat a few months back, but that was because I left the lights on. :homer:

Gryzor

Admin
alk broke, emu developed an intermittant fault, rear bearing, handbrake cables, cv boots split and it needs the usual oil change :)

Ted

Member +
most problems now seem age related, cv boots split in half cos they are so old, bushes as hard as the road leading to knocking noises, wheel bearings, but electrics and electric motor stuff(wipers etc) seem unstoppable.

also seems it likes to be driven, some stuff needs a bit of use to keep working well.

mitchracer

Member +
70miles after buying the car engine starts knocking, bottom end went-Got engine forged
1000miles after running in manifold cracks - rewelded it
1500miles after running in bought new clutch and LSD gearbox - went to fit gearbox and found it had a lovely crack in so pissin out oil everywhere, lovely waste of £300
Tps sensor playing up but just needed adjusting
Engine mounts worn causing knocking - replaced
Mot time costs a few quid due to wheel bearing and hub need replacing and few other bits
1800miles after running in engine starts smoking - new turbo fitted and still smoking so doing valve seals when got enough money together
About 2200miles engine bay catches on fire due to injector leaking - luckily I always carry an extinguisher
2500miles after rebuild melted spark plug and spluttering before boost - stil trying to sort this problem atm after changing plugs and injectors
Few other things in-between
Had a busy 12months on this car lol

rage

Lifer
well, my car started out as a basic NA model so i had to rebuild and modify a lot on the car. had a couple of engine issues before i went 4efte because i was thrashing it :)
had an oil failure on the 4efte so the bottom end went, rebuilt the entire engine and been running fine since then. just your regular little things that are easy to fix.

in my opinion, if you up the power to about 200hp it's a fun car but will need regular attention and expect a few things to fail/wear out quickly.

keep it stock and it will run forever with a little tlc.
and ofc. the regular age related little things. heck, the car is 20 years old! can't blame it for having a few faults every now and then :)

overall very pleased with the car and quality/reliability

rosso321

Member +
Where to start I bought my gt cheap (buy cheap buy twice) :) I got my gt with 149,000 km now 216,000 I had to get door fixed ignition barrel hub changed due to bearing c.v joint then went through the test. I've changed the interior as my own choice a lot of small parts wishbone ball joints track rod ends brake pads. Then got had a little incident to fast around a roundabout back came out got bumper wishbone and new piping for fmic bumper re sprayed. Alternator went. Spark plugs and leads ,rad changed, water pump.
hand brake cable new alarm fog lights now at the moment getting new cv joint rear calapillars steering wheel for horn to work bad earthing for lights hand brake cables in future valve steam oil seals which could be rings dunno. Re condition gear box
Do oil crank seal as engine leaking soon find out what's leaking hks actuator so have it at point 8 bar and love a re spray oh and maybe zizco or wepr mani but yet I won't get rid of my gt love it to bits cnt wait for my recaros to go in pics will be loaded as soon as ;)

Last edited:

Iain@CRD

Lifer
My car flicked over 201,000 the other day, obviously its part KM or Miles and so far in the last 12 months it only struggled on emissions because its not mapped :rockon:

Nippon

Member +
Had mine 4.5 years. Just ticked over 100,000 miles.

Had a crack in the cylinder head about 12 months ago but since that was repaired its been pretty good.
Minor cooling issue due to faulty water temp sensor but that due to age.
:)
Running CT9 @ 1bar.

malcolmgt

Member +
ahh mine is about 185000 km now, never changed to mph.
going strong and passed MOT yesterday with just a tyre needing changing.
LOVE HER

accent_97

Member +
well mine is not a toyota car but it has a 4efte in , the engine was fitted around 2 years ago at 151000km and now its 179230km , the engine it was freshly imported from japan at 50000km so since then it has around 79000km now, never did anything on the engine exept for regular oil change, at the begining was burning a bit of oil but was not the 4efte engine there where some oil of the previuos diesel engine cleaned the exhoust and since then no smoke , turbo is still the stock one it has around 20 years old and even the clutch , about economy well i think its becouse the rises of the fuel it do 140km with 20 euro, all i can say they are bullet proff this engines if ya keep them stock as if you moded them the trouble begins

Stulet-GTT

Member +
Has been an awsome car for me over the past 12month's very reliable, was thinking of selling but cant see the sence in selling a perfectly good car...

Paul_JJ

Member +
70miles after buying the car engine starts knocking, bottom end went-Got engine forged
1000miles after running in manifold cracks - rewelded it
1500miles after running in bought new clutch and LSD gearbox - went to fit gearbox and found it had a lovely crack in so pissin out oil everywhere, lovely waste of £300
Tps sensor playing up but just needed adjusting
Engine mounts worn causing knocking - replaced
Mot time costs a few quid due to wheel bearing and hub need replacing and few other bits
1800miles after running in engine starts smoking - new turbo fitted and still smoking so doing valve seals when got enough money together
About 2200miles engine bay catches on fire due to injector leaking - luckily I always carry an extinguisher
2500miles after rebuild melted spark plug and spluttering before boost - stil trying to sort this problem atm after changing plugs and injectors
Few other things in-between
Had a busy 12months on this car lol

You don't give up do you?

Paul_JJ

Member +
Bought the car -)

Few days later - ignition leads, spark plugs, dizzy cap - had to be replaced -)

A few months later - found that 3 of my calipers need a rebuild -) as well as You might have guessed pads and discs -) replaced the rears, rebuild the front ones.

A month later - found that mani is cracked. Replaced with brand new wepr, which cracked 6 months later [got full refund], replaced with used Zisco, which was leaking on the head side, after being skimmed seem to be ok for the time being.

Sticky thermostat replaced [stuck open] - noticed when it was cold in the car -)

Some time later - found that I have an oil leak - camshaft, crankshaft, dipstick seal along with the cambelt and the waterpump were replaced.

Engine mounts replaced - were worn out causing bad vibration.

Cracked wastegate on the turbo! Hasn't been replaced yet, will have to save up for a new turbo.

Costed me quite some cash already, at the moment not very happy with the car, but hopefully will be soon.

Waiting for new problems.....

mitchracer

Member +
You don't give up do you?

The problem is Iv spent so much time and money so far that I can't give up yet and also everytime I use it when it does work well it makes me smile and forget about all the problems iv had, also im about 85% finished on the way I want it to look, I just need to spray the drivers side and roof when I have time and when weathers good and itl be a minter because it was a dog when I 1st got it