ziltch oil pressure

Mike D EP82

Member +
Iv recently built up craigs engine for his gt. cleaned everything until it was spotless. now i have zero oil pressure. i have pumped oil into the oil filter housing and its coming through the journals for the crankshaft bearings etc. but i have removed the t/belt again and the oil pump and found the pump bone dry. the car has started and ran already but no pressure forced me to turn it off again. i noticed there is a little sort of dimple on the pump wheel. does that have anything to do with it? as i had the dimple facing me and im sure its to face the pump? anyone? im going to torch the thing lol

fur

Member +
the dimple is supposed to face outward i believe. if the engine ran without oil pressure for even a second the cons and main bearings and journals will be shot to shit for certain

that being said, if the motor is still healthy it would mean it was getting oil pressure
is the o-ring on the oil strainer/pickup good?

Mike D EP82

Member +
the dimple is supposed to face outward i believe. if the engine ran without oil pressure for even a second the cons and main bearings and journals will be shot to shit for certain

that being said, if the motor is still healthy it would mean it was getting oil pressure
is the o-ring on the oil strainer/pickup good?

as i pumped the oil through the crank and poured oil in through the oil cap there was plernty lubrication. no knocks, the o-ring is brand new and iv fitted a gasket kit aswell so?

hope this helps

from the 5e manual
1) To reassemble, reverse disassembly procedure. Ensure
reference marks (dot area) on rotors face toward outside of oil pump
body (away from cylinder block surface).

Mike D EP82

Member +
iv got a manual gauge thats how i know that its none. but the dimple was faced the wrong way so i think thats what it has been :) rep added gorgan

danturbo4311

Member +
have you used a speedvision engine gasket kit with the oil pump body gasket, as iv used that gasket before on the oil pump you should only use selant as the gasket acts as a spacer therefore theres no pressure between the pump & block, you should get pressure regardless of what way round the dimple is although it should be put as stated I f you have used the gasket & have an o ring type pump my advice is to throw away the gasket use sealant & i gaurantee you get pressure straight away

luckily i checked my oil pressure was good before starting mine up when i rebuilt my engine otherwise it would of cost me another engine or crank at the least, only use the o ring if you have the oring type oil pump the gasket is just for oil pumps without the o ring.

Last edited:

Mike D EP82

Member +
doesnt matter no damage done. my dads a top technician or as they say top techy. as long as i put oil into the journals and oiled everything up before i fitted it it would run ok but dont run it for long. where is the relief valve? i also fitted a new o-ring to the pick up and it the gasket type which i also changed. if the manual says to put the dimple facing the pulley then it must have something to do with the pressure or the oil pump doing its job correctly. as i said the oil pick up was not picking up the oil but its clear as i checked it before i assembled it. but if there is an air gap somewhere the pick up wont suck oil it will suck air instead resulting in 0 pressure. the gauge doesnt even give the slightest hint of flickering at all.

Last edited:

danturbo4311

Member +
just re read your first post if you have pressure going to the bearings then its probably the pressure relief valve open so you will need to drop the sump & have a look its at the bottom of the block, or remove the oil filter hosuing & see if anythings wrong there

Last edited:

weeJohn

Lifer
If you pack the oil pump with vaselinr when you put it in, it will give the pump suction through the strainer from the first turn of the pump.

Its a mistake I have made before, I tried the other things you did to assist lifting but I found this works best.