hello guys :)

turbo cookie

Fresh Recruit
Mother of all bumps!

My Mr2 na rev3 needs replacing with something slightly more practical (Slightly:haha:) Seeing as i was soo close to getting one before i thought it would be a good idea to return to looking at starlets. At the moment i am torn between getting a starlet or getting somthing N/A. If possible i would like to have some advice if a starlet glanza V would meet/suit my needs and if not i would need to look something else thats na.

The reason i ask this is due to me doing alot of small journeys (3-5 miles) but like every petrol head i do like to have a good long weekend blast :cool:

I know short trips wont be ideal for glanza but i always let old car engines warm up and cool down so short trips shouldn't have too much affect on the car and its turbo right?

The other question i have is how much would a it take to push a glanza to around a number like170hp? Im not looking to compromise reliability by doing a cheap boot job , I always prefer to do a proper job and spend the money then live with a time bomb. I take it glanza are still classed as being a reliable, so i take it a glanza would be reliable at this power?

last question i take it the running cost of a starlet will be similar to a mr2? If not what sort of difference in price are we talking? (just to give me idea as it would be impossible to say 100%)

Side note: I will be importing one with opjp So wont have to be worrying about the last owner being a boy racer chav :haha:

Phil

Super Moderator
i would say at 170hp your right in the reliable fun range for a glanza/starlet.

100% go for it.

and mr2 would be a great option also no doubt!

Phil

Jay

Admin
Welcome back mate, the Glanza certainly should tick the boxes when it comes to a practical daily. That sort of mileage isn't a powerful amount and you will see the same build quality and reliability that you are used to from the MR2. So long as you take it easy on cold starts and don't go mental in your last half mile there isn't much need to let it idle for too long.

Powerwise the standard 133 makes them nippy enough to be fun. You could push the stock CT9 up to 170bhp by upgrading the intercooler, exhaust and manifold then increasing boost and fuelling. This approach would place additional stress on the turbo and engine but there's cars locally which have been running for years. Alternatively upgrading the turbo to a TD04 (or similar) would allow you to run lower boost which would keep additional stress from the engine but the temptation will be there to up the boost and enter the 200 club.

The Glanza will be slightly thirstier, have a smaller tank and require servicing more often. The power delivery and easier to work on engine more than makes up for that though.

I've a 93 MR2 so I totally get what you mean by 'more practical'!

turbo cookie

Fresh Recruit
thanks guys :) still trying to make my mind up on getting one or getting a pulsar vzr as i think the pulsar my go up in value as more get destroyed.

what sort of price range am i looking at to mod a starlet to 170hp? As i am starting to think it may be best to buy a na car as i am worried turbo maybe a bad idea for the sort of mile i do :(

Jay

Admin
Would certainly be advisable to take one for a roadtest before you decide, not much else will make you smile as much when the power kicks in. The Pulsar is a good shout too but I've never seen many of them locally. If you get the chance drive them back to back and see what feels right.

I know you are worried about the miles per week but the 4EFTE can basically handle any sort of mileage as a daily. There's also plenty that sit around doing nothing except the odd blast every few weekends. (I own both types lol)