compression test

Galen

Lifer
Getting the car mapped tomorrow so just done a compression test to see how things are.

Got 155psi across three cylinders and just over 150psi on the last. Engine warmed and at WOT.

Just over 288000kms on the engine.

Jay

Admin
So long as they are even across the four pots you shouldn't have too much to worry about mate. The pressure sounds quite good for that sort of mileage.

elison

Member +
Mate that engine should have been gone with pension long time... LoL... Nothing to worry about the numbers mate. As long they are within each others range its good. Good luck on the dyno tomorrow. And as they say AS LONG ITS A TOYOTA YOU SHOULDN'T WORRY THAT MUCH. LoL...

Rev

Member +
That's a fantastic result for the millage good luck with the dyno. I have a younger one with 160 dry on all cylinders ( oil topped up) but the wet comp. test showed 200 195 180 170 for some reason.

Last edited:

Skalabala

Member +
I would be worried! Do not turn up the boost on the dyno! Yes the numbers are good but it is on its last legs!
Turning up boost or even over reving will result in a bad ending for sure.
Great consistency with the numbers! But they are worn for sure.
How long did you have the car and what oil do you use??
Never rebuilt?

Galen

Lifer
Have the car almost 8 years. Use Castrol gtx 10w40, serviced regularly. Engine has never been opened as long as I have it.
Going back to 1bar TD04, changed setup so thats why its been mapped again

triple j

Member +
I would be worried! Do not turn up the boost on the dyno! Yes the numbers are good but it is on its last legs!
Turning up boost or even over reving will result in a bad ending for sure.
Great consistency with the numbers! But they are worn for sure.
How long did you have the car and what oil do you use??
Never rebuilt?
I would think the opposite its not a new engine its just normal ware, if its not using oil and the engine sounds sweet shes good for boost, compression looks good, if u wanted to be extra safe replace bottom end bearings.

Skalabala

Member +
Have the car almost 8 years. Use Castrol gtx 10w40, serviced regularly. Engine has never been opened as long as I have it.
Going back to 1bar TD04, changed setup so thats why its been mapped again

What turbo and boost were you on bud?

Galen

Lifer
Started on ct9 at 1bar, then hybrid at 1bar and then last year to TD04 at 1bar.
Changed to a topmount td04 setup last month and mapped yesterday it made 218bhp and 198ft/lb at 1 bar

Galen

Lifer
Thats one fast car how you finding the td04 ? would you ever go back to the ct9 ?

No dont think I would. Sometimes ya'd miss the responce of ct9 but overall I prefer TD04.
Plus they are more reliable and easier to find a replacement if it ever does go.