Engine tight in one place when turning over by hand

ollieglanza

Fresh Recruit
As above, was fine off the car, timing all checked.starter motor removes and in neutraland still wont turn. Defo turned over before gearbox clutch flywheel etc were fitted. Cant remember if i turned it over after fitting.

Update took the plug out and dropped some oil down the bores. Turns over know up until one point, which happens every 1 revolution of the crank pulley

Edited by Ollieh17, Yesterday, 05:51 PM.

ollieglanza

Fresh Recruit
Nope not rebuilt, engine was taken out the car, drained of all fluids. Few gaskets put in etc then put back in the car for a month or so

Jay

Admin
Hard to advise without feeling the resistance but you could find it's nothing to worry about, depending on where you are in the compression stroke it could feel a bit harder to turn. The fact that it took a bit of oil to free it up points to something amiss though.

I'm guessing the engine hasn't been opened? Just asking as the pistons and bearings could limit movement if they haven't been lubed enough.

This is also true if the bores have developed a spot of rust (moisture during storage could have caused this) so if you want to play it safe borrow a bore scope and have a look inside at the bores. If you can't find a scope owner you could always drop the sump and inspect the bores from below, you should be able to see enough of the chambers that way.

If it's of any comfort the engine I fitted to a GT last month had a tight spot when turned and I couldn't spot anything wrong. It's behaving 100% now that she's wired and fired.

Jay

ollieglanza

Fresh Recruit
Cheers bud! How tight was the GT engine, this i struggle to move with the hands? But the fact it moves so easy through the 315 degree ish suggests its not the bores and the oil just being a conicdence? It sounds like there is resistance coming from the gearbox end of the engine, so maybe bore 4 or flywheel/clutch? Box is being dropped this weekend so all will be revieled.

And engine hasnt be opened

Jay

Admin
Engine moved fine with only slight resistance when rotated with a breaker bar but when using a 19mm spanner it was tough going. That engine had lay out of a car in a dry, insulated garage for a few months just but I couldn't spot anything on the bores. Just put it down to my imagination and bailed on with the build.

An inspection of the flywheel end should confirm/belay any suspicions hopefully!

ollieglanza

Fresh Recruit
Engine moved fine with only slight resistance when rotated with a breaker bar but when using a 19mm spanner it was tough going. That engine had lay out of a car in a dry, insulated garage for a few months just but I couldn't spot anything on the bores. Just put it down to my imagination and bailed on with the build.

An inspection of the flywheel end should confirm/belay any suspicions hopefully!

Yeh thats the same as mine, just its in only in one spot. Still, probably best to drop the gearbox and have a look. Hope it hasnt ruined the clutch/flywheel

ollieglanza

Fresh Recruit
OK but why did the clutch rub the bell housing in a standard application?? I think further investigation is needed.

it happened to some one else too. They bought theres brand new and it turned out to actually be from a MR2. I bought mine second hand and the previous user didnt mention any issue. Maybe to do with the lightened flywheel

Skalabala

Member +
it happened to some one else too. They bought theres brand new and it turned out to actually be from a MR2. I bought mine second hand and the previous user didnt mention any issue. Maybe to do with the lightened flywheel

Ah you have an after market flywheel and not OEM clutch. This makes more sense :)