CT12 D Rebuild Help / Tips

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
I am rebuilding a CT12 D (diesel)

Main journal bushings are bust.

What else should I scrutinize while I'm rebuilding.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Jay

Admin
Just the usual I'd imagine mate.

Make sure the blades haven't clipped the housings and inspect the exhaust housing for heat fractures. Not sure if it'll need balanced afterwards, ct9's are hit and miss on this point.

Jay

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
Thanks Jay I'll take note of that.

I've physically inspected everything and all looks great no parts hitting each other.

Balancing would be a challenge as there may be no shops here who can do it.

I've ordered the rebuild kit online and still waiting for them to arrive.

Will the heat fractures affect performance or life? Finding one would be a great challenge for me as this is my first turbo rebuild, looks easy though.

Jay

Admin
Some folks don't bother getting them professionally balanced and they are fine so it might not be an issue. Heat fractures are usually found in the exhaust housing around the wastegate port. They would generally affect lifespan - most CT9's are rendered dead once the housing cracks.

Hope that helps,

Jay

dac69er

Super Moderator
all the diesel turbos ive seen have been free of cracks due to running lower exhaust temps, so you should be ok there.

as long as it is just seals gone, it should be ok to rebuild.

i have had 2 rebuilt professionally, first one exploded, second one was ok, but always had a strange whine.
i have rebuilt 2 myself, 1 balance wise seemed ok, but the seals popped almost straight away. the other one is spot on, and that was a diesel ct9 ;)

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
all the diesel turbos ive seen have been free of cracks due to running lower exhaust temps, so you should be ok there.

as long as it is just seals gone, it should be ok to rebuild.

i have had 2 rebuilt professionally, first one exploded, second one was ok, but always had a strange whine.
i have rebuilt 2 myself, 1 balance wise seemed ok, but the seals popped almost straight away. the other one is spot on, and that was a diesel ct9 ;)

thanks mate

Skalabala

Member +
Mark the comp and exhaust wheel 100% accurate so that you put them back on the position you took it of.
Make sure the comp wheel nut is torqued to spec.
Sometimes the seal land on the exhaust wheel is worn, then its scrap.

Yes you can lower boost by fitting an adjustable wastegate actuator or make the arm longer.

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
- Mark the comp and exhaust wheel 100% accurate so that you put them back on the position you took it of. - Yup did this :)

- Make sure the comp wheel nut is torqued to spec. I missed this but I can still do it.

- Sometimes the seal land on the exhaust wheel is worn, then its scrap. is this where ring settles in the housing right after the exhaust blades?

- Yes you can lower boost by fitting an adjustable wastegate actuator or make the arm longer. NOTED

Thanks Man!

I've finally managed to rebuild it, long wait for the reoair kit.

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
Good day friends, I found time to have an Exhaust Manifold custom made and I chose to have the simple Log type design like below.

The guys at the shop were very helpful with my idea from making a new flange up to the mounting and everything.

Here is the DIY flange, they don't look very pro but they do make good results.

Welding and mounting up the pipes into the flange, at this point I was afraid that the heat of the welding could warp the flange so I suggested he mount it bolt it on the flat metal desk the have which he gladly did.

Fitting of the flange on the cylinder head exhaust ports.

Positioning the turbo support tab.

Some visual measurements before finalizing the welding of the turbo flange and pipe.

All in a day's work..

Mock-up :) the green wire is to hold the wastegate closed lol... I haven't installed the actuator for this pictorial purpose.

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
Here is a short test. Disclaimer, this is an old busted turbo that hasn't been repaired yet. :) I just doused the internals with oil to spool it for a bit :)

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhQ87NgM_CE[/video]

Skalabala

Member +
Nice buddy :) The engine being used it was not turbocharged before? If so you are going to run into fuel problems, you need to do a mod on the pump.

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
Nice buddy :) The engine being used it was not turbocharged before? If so you are going to run into fuel problems, you need to do a mod on the pump.

Thanks mate :)

I've always wondered how it will run on a non-turbo engine with no fuel enrichment, and the guys at a diesel shop said its fine but of course I won't get the full potential of the turbo but I will get some extra power.

They also mentioned that I can adjust the main fuel load and richen it up a little bit and get some added diesel fuel throughout the RPM range, but of course it will produce black smoke on low RPM or non-boost RPM ranges.

Well I hope I don't get my engine busted right away, and I will stay on low boost for the meantime, I'll probably lengthen the wastegate rod actuator so it'll open up a little earlier like a member previously mentioned above..

Skalabala

Member +
That blue breather pipe must be blocked at the intake pipe and on the tappet cover side it must vent to atmosphere before you start it.
Otherwise you are going to blow all the engine seals.

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
Is it running? :D You should have fit an intercooler for some extra performance :D
PS, nice safety shoes :p

Thanks!

Yes its running but not yet connected to the intakes :)

Yes I will add an "under the hood" intercooler soon, probably taken from a pajero.

Safety shoes hahaha! btw thats not me LOL

Last edited:

Dongskie

Fresh Recruit
That blue breather pipe must be blocked at the intake pipe and on the tappet cover side it must vent to atmosphere before you start it.
Otherwise you are going to blow all the engine seals.

Yes I wll block that intake part where the breather hose goes to then ill add an oil catch can from the breather and another hose into the intake of the turbo.