cusco LSD clunk??

asifatyard21

Member +
have just fitted a gearbox with a cusco lsd. it is very clunky, i heard they were very clunky and now i know what they mean. at low speed turning and moving of it feels very odd. i hear using certain gearbox oil can reduce this any advice and experiences people have had with changing the oil?
p.s it handles awesome at high speeds though. really feel it pulling you out the corners.

madman

Member +
yes they are very clunky can get annoying at times but as you have said they make up for it in the corners

KrissyB

Member +
I have a cusco type Mz :SD yes it very clunky mate but makes up for it with its cornering capabilities

asifatyard21

Member +
yes handling is very good with it, but just wondered if there any way to reduce the clunk? if not i will put up with it for the gains

Rory

Lifer
Use a good quality gear box oil from Silkoleen or the likes and add a some Redline LSD friction modifier.
Use this in moderation though, as it will ruin the syncros in the box. ie dont use the whole bottle in the gearbox.

It does take the clunk down a good bit, but it will still clunk, if that make sense.

Jay

Admin
Yes, I have one fitted and it's noisey. Junctions and slow turns are just about bearable. The straights make up for it though.

asifatyard21

Member +
thanx for all the info, but it deffinatly makes up for the clunking in the bends, have been driving the car today and am very impressesd.

HorwathBence

Member +
I have no lsd (yet) but a dogbox... and last sumer i worked at a gearbox manufacturer, and they advice for their costumers motul or sylkolen. I ve gor motul gear ff... a bit expensive... but hell adhesive... spilled some on the road once, and after 2 wet month and a lot of sand on it.. but it is still on it... :-D

asifatyard21

Member +
everytime i take corners slowly it sounds and feels like damage is being done to somthing. has anyone had any damage to any parts or even the lsd due to the lsd clunk?
cheers

steveatyork

Member +
mate honestly ive been driving with it.thats how there soppose to be. due to the lack of torque. hence thats why it happens when driving slowly. it happens with honda's to. as i said get some good lsd oil in there.:)

asifatyard21

Member +
i do believe thats how there meant to be im just wondring wether it will cause more wear to components due to it not really being a diff for road use thats all?
cheers all for info

Sparky

Member +
I run my Cusco LSD on Silkolene high performance gear oil.

Try changing your oil, it does clunk when trying to turn full lock just on the bite of the clutch and reversing on full lock, but mine got worse so I changed the oil and its better again.

You need to change the oil quite often I believe.

PS I love it :D