Fuel tank capacity, fuel left when bulb lights on ?

Thanks for the info, very interesting. That would make it 45L then, as it is indeed starts flashing at around 36-37L mark. Was it below or over 2 US Gallons?

it was one of those gas containers....has written on it - US 2 gallons 8 ounces ....7.81L

filled it to the top and a little excess (maybe another 8 ounces approximately)
so in total i'd estimate 8L
by that time the fuel was starting to flow "airy"....so i stopped....we did not want to over heat the fuel pump..

Paul_JJ

Member +
Well it is 45L then, it's good to know and will give us piece of mind with 8L extra -) Thanks a lot!
What year is your EP-91? IS it a JDM import?

Paul_JJ

Member +
yes as paul said its 45litrs ,,,just searched it up google..lol

I've done 65 Miles on mine with the light flashing and never managed to put over 37L... Did you ever put over 40L yourself in the tank???

Now we do know that it is 45L, but probably due to it's design the light starts to flash at around 36L mark (depending on the temperature and the road condition), but then again my question is, how on earth if it's starts flashing around 36L mark I've managed to get 65 Miles and didn't put in more than 37L????? That would be 2L of petrol to do 65Miles, if it is real granny driving the MPG is shocking - less than 2L per 100Km, or SHOCKING 147.7 Miles Per Gallon...

So is there any way it could start flashing earlier on the AUTO models? At the end of the day it's not that critical for the manual to run out of petrol, where is for the Auto it could possibly damage the gearbox???

Also looking at the picture above it says 7L and then 4WD - 6L, that proves that NOT every starlet has the same "flashing point", even though the tank is the same size?

Last edited:
@gorgan What fuel pump was that ?

its an genuine toyota celica 3sgte fuel pump----direct fit
i'm not keen on running any fuel pump absolutely dry---i fear it may damage the pump, as i suppose the fuel helps to keep the pump lubricated

Well it is 45L then, it's good to know and will give us piece of mind with 8L extra -) Thanks a lot!
What year is your EP-91? IS it a JDM import?

its a jdm import...1998
was an automatic that i got converted to manual

i guess someone can check to see if the part numbers are the same for the automatic and manual fuel tanks----just to make sure

Also looking at the picture above it says 7L and then 4WD - 6L, that proves that NOT every starlet has the same "flashing point", even though the tank is the same size?

i'm not sure that the ep91 and 4wd model share the same fuel tank.....someone could check part numbers on this as well
i'm not sure if the "tunnel",rear differnetial and 4wd set up caused a change in the general design of the 4wd fuel tank----------maybe Jay, weejohn, ted, gaz, etc can comment on if the 4WD fuel tanks are the same/different to a FWD model

here's what i'll do, next time my fuel light just begins to comes on, i'll fill the tank right up and see how many liters it takes
that should give a good approximation of the size

but you got 36L-37L to fill up to the brim....and i got 7L-8L with light on
so that about 43L-45L maximum

so its quite possible the tank itself could be around 40L as outlined earlier by the guy who measured it (Farley---must give him his due credit for his work).....it could maybe go up to 41L-43L theoretically speaking
as we have no idea of how many liters the pipes from the fuel tank to the lid/cover will hold

Last edited:

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I'll bump this up as Paul will love this....

I filled my car up last night - without the light being on but the needle was pretty far down and I got 40.3litres in before the pump clicked off.

I have fitted a new tank recently from a UK starlet though but visually it looked identical, the fuel light was working when I first fitted the tank too so don't know why it didn't come on!!

Paul_JJ

Member +
Was the tank completely Empty when you replaced it and you only managed to put 40.3L?

The funny thing is that the conclusion is that the tank size is around 45L, but have you (or anyone else) ever put over 40L to your tank?

WallaceGlanza

Member +
I've already filled up once before since I replaced the tank (when I replaced it I had a jerry can in the garage and half filled the tank so don't know how much it would've taken), so on this fill I got over 40L in. The light hadn't come on but was working after I'd changed the tank so either the UK tank is bigger and I wasn't close to empty or the light has stopped working and I was touching cloth with what was left in the tank.

Last edited:

Rev

Member +
I got 40.3litres in before the pump clicked off.

Just to mention pumps are different and the ground can slope so you get less in than you filled at another pump.
I try to use the same pump and park in the same spot I usually get 3 clicks from the pump to fill the tank.
The speed of the fill can have an effect.
If you want to test capacity I find you can top the last bit so you can see the fuel at the top of the filler then you know the tank is full for the ground slope and temperature of the fuel .

Last edited: