flutter or dump....? how about both.. read on

corofin12345

Member +
alot of people ask questions on here about how can you make you dumpvalve dump and flutter....? some people bung up the dumpvavle pipe that runs off the turbo so they can get the flutter noise and some just prefer the dump noise from the dumpvalve... i was messing with my car this morning an found a way of getting both noises with no need of buying extras to do so..

NOTE; this will only work with cars that have aftermarket dumpvalves (bov's) and cars that have the high/low switch bypassed..the flutter noise is not made by the dumpvalve, its made by the turbo itself

the way i used to get flutter is if i disconnected the vacuum hose off the dumpvalve and would have to replace if i wanted the dump noise.. the high/low turbo switch is the answer as most of us dont use this any more so its perfect for it.. as yee know you have to run a vacuum hose from inlet mani to dumpvale for it to run properly.. picture below shows what i did.. i ran a vacuum hose from dumpvalve to high/low switch and from high/low switch to inlet mani.. with the button off on the centre console you will get dump and with it pressed you will get flutter.. with it pressed all that is happening is that the vacuum source from the inlet mani is cut off by the high/low switch therefore the dumpvalve will not open causing flutter..

alal-1.jpg

as you may of noticed i have relocated my dumpvalve to behind the front bumper.. this will work where ever your dumpvalve is placed.. :)

Last edited:

Stulet-GTT

Member +
I personally dont run a d/v as have never found one i like or just sound shite, dont think i ever will as its not my cuppa anymore...:p
Im more of a flutter boy, love puttin my foot down to hear the turbo sucking the air out the atmophire then fluttering it back out...:freddy:

But i do like your idea an must have fryed a brain cell or two to sort it out, so for this i give ya some rep...:rockon:

corofin12345

Member +
just clicked really when i was at the car this morning.. pulling off the vacuum hose off the dumpvalve causes flutte so the switch is doin this job really now.. love it.. goin up through town i was getting looks.. dump one minute and loud flutter the next.. cheers for the rep

gv1.3

Admin
With my ssqv if I am boosting hard and come off the power it dumps and if I am not boosting so hard and come of the power it doesnt dump and I get compressor surge.

Interesting use of the hi/low solenoid though :)

addz

Member +
i can put up a video if ya like and yes it does work... would sound the tits with a relocated filter

You have been repped brother.

Oh I verily believe you, just can't believe it hasn't been addressed before. ;)

With my ssqv if I am boosting hard and come off the power it dumps and if I am not boosting so hard and come of the power it doesnt dump and I get compressor surge.

Same, but got to be very easy on the throttle

corofin12345

Member +

ya i get that 2 with my blitz in a high gear if i plant it and let go but this is way louder with no dump at all with the button pressed on full boost

addz

Member +
give me a few mins but video will be bad quaility cause all i have is the phone

Quality.

The only thing that worries me is, will the boost readings on the gauge be the same. Mine gauge is rigged to a t-piece somewhere under the lost bay.

corofin12345

Member +
good point but ive my boost gauge vac hose plumbed into the map sensor hose... cant get a good video either.. "quality" is shit

addz

Member +
good point but ive my boost gauge vac hose plumbed into the map sensor hose... cant get a good video either.. "quality" is shit

No bother.

As there is a slight detour in vac-line pipings, not sure if that would put out gauge readings that's all.

Dan3SGTE

Member +
technically all the air coming back into the turbo without being released out to the atmosphere is bad for the turbo as your suddenly stalling the compressor wheel and not only that it will give a bit more lag off/on throttle...... So every flutter you hear isnt great for the turbo really. Up to you if you care or not. I think i would.

Reason why you hear it with light throttle is you not boosting enough for the spring in the dump valve to open. Mine used to do the same with the baileys, with my HKS SSQ does it much less.

corofin12345

Member +
nope.. even if your plumbed into the vac hose from dumpvalve it will be ok as long as its plumbed between inlet mani and high/low switch cause it will still give a proper reading even with the switch turned on

corofin12345

Member +
@dan3sgte.. thers been people on here bunging up there pipes to get flutter all of the time and with no issues.. theres been loads of threads about this on here saying is it bad or that and tbh i think if your running under a bar of boost or on stock boost your not goin to do damage to your turbo..

Last edited:

Dan3SGTE

Member +
whatever boost your running will technically cause problems to the bearing..... Over a period of time. But like said its up to you. On a cheap turbo i probably wouldnt care but on an expensive ball bearing turbo i think i would care.

Just thought i'd give a heads up to people that might not have known :)

corofin12345

Member +
whatever boost your running will technically cause problems to the bearing..... Over a period of time. But like said its up to you. On a cheap turbo i probably wouldnt care but on an expensive ball bearing turbo i think i would care.

Just thought i'd give a heads up to people that might not have known :)

oh thats a fact mate.. wouldnt attempt doin this with a bigger turbo with higher boost.. personally i will be only using flutter around the town with the windows down to hear it.. lol.. dump for journeys.. best of both worlds this way tho cause some people prefer the flutter noise.. my thoughts about this is when you let off the pedel the exhaust wheel isnt under any pressure cause of the wastegate opening so the compressor wheel just chops up the air (flutter) and slows down..it throws the air back out through the filter so it is releasing the pressure to atmosphere kinda. it will cause a tad of lag but not noticeable really

Last edited:

addz

Member +
We know stall/flutter is bad for the turbo.

But using boost solenoid to control dump or flutter - will it cause further problems. I know if I rig it up this way, every 5 minutes around town, local I will be changing between the two. Question is, for short periods is it bad to use flutter whilst changing between dump. Bearing in mind I/we know flutter/stall is bad regardless.

corofin12345

Member +
imo... no.. the switch is not a sensor its just a valve.... there will be no problem at all switching between the 2 mate.. its just better than doin it manually every time you want to hear some flutter :)

Last edited: