Power fc users - map sensor question

ian

Member +
I am currently using the GM map sensor but after advice from my mapper have now purchased a Apexi one.

Will the car run ok if i swap them out or will i need to change settings ?
If i change settings can this be done by the hand controller ?
Or will i need my mapper to do it all when i take it up there to be re-mapped ?

Thanks

You can Change it using the hand commander. There is the choice of using the standard one, the SW20 one and the apexi one. I would just let my mapper do it though. Have it mounted before you go get it tuned and its just a case of swapping over the boost hose and a 10 second job to change the settings

ian

Member +
Yes, but i'll need him to fit and solder the wires for a new plug, so was trying to avoid any extra labour charges.

sx_turbo

Lifer
yiu fit and solder the new map sensor.

go into setting on the commander, and sellect the apexi map sensor.

there should be 3 to choose from, stock, mr2 and the apexi one, the others are for you to calibrate yourself.

once the correct one is selected all will be well, and car will drive fine to the mappers.

although i'm not entirely sure why he couldnt use the gm sensor

Yes, but i'll need him to fit and solder the wires for a new plug, so was trying to avoid any extra labour charges.

Im confused, you said you had a GM map sensor but you now have an Apexi one. The Apexi one doesn't need to be wired in, it just plugs into the socket on the side of the ECU

ian

Member +
i can only assume the mapper couldnt get the right gain etc to make it work

Its bringing on the engine management light when i let off after being on full throttle.

The mapper said it was the map sensor causing the problems

ian

Member +
Im confused, you said you had a GM map sensor but you now have an Apexi one. The Apexi one doesn't need to be wired in, it just plugs into the socket on the side of the ECU

The GM uses a different plug to the Apexi one and i don't have the loom to wire into the side of the pfc i'm going to use my orginal map sensor wiring.

Rory

Lifer
Yep im the same, due to the GM sensor not being setup corectly, so throwing a code when its not reading. (Thats my thought anyway)
If you buy the proper sensor it doesn require the the harness from the ECU to sensor, all it needs is for the old plug to be cut off,re-wire a new plug and then plug it in.

Its bringing on the engine management light when i let off after being on full throttle.

The mapper said it was the map sensor causing the problems

ian

Member +
can u guys not get the rite settings online ? loads of other guys use gm sensors

Not sure mate, i'm just going by what i've been told by the mapper, i've got to go back for a remap as i had boost leaks on my throttle body to sort out.

Mikey B

Lifer
can u guys not get the rite settings online ? loads of other guys use gm sensors

I had the same problem with mine, searched the web for a long time trying to find the right scale and offset but no matter what we did it was just not right
would never seem to read off boost correctly and when it did it would not idle right or even start in some cases. Even sent it back to the supplier to cheek if it was faulty but they said it was fine.

ian

Member +
So........... are we agreed that if i fit it and change the selection in the menu it will be safe/ok for me to drive to the mappers, which is a 20 mile drive ??

weeJohn

Lifer
Ok, cheers mate, was not sure if it would of messed with the map, as i have not got a clue about mapping, etc.

It wont change anything on the map, just the scale that the ECU reads off the map sensor feedback voltage. If its already half mapped and safe to drive it will be ok to drive with the new sensor fitted.

There is a thread covering the wiring hook up for one of these, I think it was started by billybob.

BallıGee

Member +
When you scale it will move you map the scale is used to set how wide or narrow you map will fit in the 20x20 scale
There is ways of find out at what pressure the restance is at by using a mitvac and applying a set vacuum and checking the restance but the normal way would be to set it up on the rollers to the best possible scale and you will get a far better tune of your afrs

If you ha the gm one it is possible to scale
Can I ask are you using the own loom or have you got the loom for the power fc 3 pin harness

I would go the power fc harness way and plug your boost solinoid int the hi lo own plug

ian

Member +
It wont change anything on the map, just the scale that the ECU reads off the map sensor feedback voltage. If its already half mapped and safe to drive it will be ok to drive with the new sensor fitted.

There is a thread covering the wiring hook up for one of these, I think it was started by billybob.

Cheers John, i'll have a look for it.