Retro Rim Revivial

Nippon

Member +
Hey Peeps

Thought I would share what I have been up this weekend.

As some of you know or have seen pics of. I have been rolling on a set TSW Stealths since I bought my Starlet.
At first I hated them. Then I grew to like them. I also get loads of comments about them so I decided to have a go at breathing some new life into them.

I wanted to do this myself rather than pay to have it done. So I will be doing everything by hand at home.

Here goes:
First I had to borrow a set of wheels to roll around on while mine were off the car.
Got my hands on these:
DSC_0022.jpg

Im only going to do 2 rims at a time.

This is all the stuff I will be using.
DSC_0001-1.jpg

Time to attack the first wheel.
First thing is needed to do was give it a proper clean.
A decade of British roads has not been kind to this wheel.
DSC_0024-1.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

After removing the balancing weights and scrubbing with Brillo pads and oven cleaner wheel 1 came out like this:
DSC_0027-1.jpg

Can really see the state of these wheels now. :eek:
DSC_0029.jpg

Some of the long lost wheel markings showing through once more:
DSC_0030-1.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0040.jpg

I used a wire brush to remove most the flaking paint and then sanded the whole wheel with emery cloths to get a good key ready for painting and to smooth off some of the curbed areas and rid the surface of corrosion.

Wheel 2:
DSC_0031.jpg

Cleaned. this one doesnt seem as bad as wheel 1.
DSC_0032-1.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

Wire brushed and sanded:
DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0044.jpg

I also prepped the centre caps:
DSC_0038.jpg

Thats as far as I have got so far. I will come back and update this thread as I go.
:)

Matt D

WallaceGlanza

Member +
You should've got a set of venoms as the temporary one's! Also incase you didn't know, TSW stands for Tiger Sport Wheels - makes them sound awesome!

My winter set - razors could do with a refurb so I'll be interested to see your finished results.:)

Texx

Super Moderator
The GT is currently sitting on a set of 15x7 TSW Blades, they suit the car quite well I think.

Tanz

Lifer
Back in the day huh,when sporting a set of tsw's was the job..lol...Although saying that stealths are legendary at this stage,,,and as for venoms ,,ohh you were really flash if you had them...

Great job though Matt ,,,look forward to seeing the end result...:)

Nippon

Member +
Right here we go then...

Didnt get a great deal done this weekend as it was raining on Saturday.
But this is what I did get done:

Started off with wheel 1 in filler primer. I used filler primer to help even out some of the uneven areas.
DSC_0002-1.jpg

Once the filler primer was dry I took it outside and gave it a sand down with very fine sand paper. Again to make sure it was as smooth as I could get it.
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0004-1.jpg

Once this was done I gave the wheel a coat of grey primer to get rid of the yellowness.
DSC_0005.jpg

Once this was dry I could start with the colour!!!!
I have chosen Peugeot Cossack Grey (metallic) for the final colour.
Here is is straight after painting:
DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

Here it is indoors once the paint was dry:
DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Its difficult to get a true representation of the colour as it shines loads and reflects the colour of the carpet etc...

Next job is to get a few coats of clear laquer on it to get the true colour, shine and protection.
Also still waiting for new Toyota badges to arrive for the centre caps.
Once thats done I have another 3 wheels to do. Lol.

Its not perfect as can still see little chips where the badly kerbed area was but then again it was never going to be perfect with out having them shot blasted, acid dipped, rewelded etc etc. But that was never the point.
Once it is laquered it think it will defo has its new lease of life like I wanted.
Its looking 10 times better already.

Matt D

Tanz

Lifer
Fantastic,,,great write and tasty workmanship so far...:)

Definitely getting a belt of my rep stick...;)

hubbygt

Member +
Nice work mate, coming along well. Always nice the satisfaction you get from doing something like this yourself I feel.

MarcoGTTurbo

Member +
They looks awesome mate, its definately inspired me to do mine, and Im sure you have inspired a few other people to do theres! once youve done them all stick them on your car so we can all see ;)

Great work!

Nippon

Member +
They looks awesome mate, its definately inspired me to do mine, and Im sure you have inspired a few other people to do theres! once youve done them all stick them on your car so we can all see ;)

Great work!

Yeah will do fella. I'll update this post after i have laquered the painted wheel and then again once I have done them all and had them fitted back to the car.

Thanks again everyone.

MD

Nippon

Member +
Hey Guys.
Not forgotten about this thread. Just been busy.

Wheels Laqured.
DSC_0002-2.jpg

Centre caps turned up at last!
DSC_0004-2.jpg

I have got 2 wheels fitted back to the car now. Will be getting the other 2 wrapped with rubber this weekend. I'll post a pic of the car with the full set on rather than just 2.

In the meantime here are some pics of the dreadful state wheel 4 was in and some of its progress.
This was by far the worst wheel of the bunch.
Cleaning:
DSC_0006-1.jpg

After scraping the bubbled and loose paint off:
DSC_0007-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1.jpg

Super corroded:
DSC_0010-1.jpg

DSC_0012-2.jpg

Kerbed areas:
DSC_0009-1.jpg

After wire brushing:
DSC_0014-1.jpg

DSC_0015-1.jpg

DSC_0016.jpg

After going mental with a dremel and sanding, then filler priming and re-sanding:
DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019-1.jpg

DSC_0020-1.jpg

Pics of all finished wheels fitted to car to follow. :)

Matt D

Last edited: