Td04 Users And Civic Rads?????

GTti

Member +
Thats what I said on page 6.

I think you need to get the engine up to full temperature before the fan cut in, then try and detect any emissions in the coolant.

As Dave said, could be that something is or isn't expanding/stretching etc enough under load temeratures.

Harvey

Member +
would a sniff test work particularly well on our cars? Surely most of the vapours will escape out thro the overflow?

I think you can get some sort of chemical you mix with the coolant that detects traces of exhaust fumes.

Yeah if it was the head lifting causng it, it would show up in the coolant, as it would if the head was cracked.

Toby@ToyTuning.com

Banned - DO NOT BUY FROM TOYTUNING
I think there are two possibilities now we have whittled it down:

1) The Head is lifting although seems odd as there new bolts and not mad mad power unless they were torqued incorrectly

2) The system is pressurized due to a poor rad, blockage, water pump problem etc etc

I've told Kelly they can bring the car down to us if they like so we can actually have a look rather than speculating over the forum, other than this it is very hard to tell...

T

Harvey

Member +
Im just wondering how many of the people having these problems have ABS? And those who dont have the problems, dont have ABS?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
right chaps and chappettes.

we've been doing some research into this tonight and we may have come up with a possible answer:

circled below is an outlet from the water jacket on the cylinder head, presumably for a water heated inlet mani.

DSC00164r.JPG

now our starlets don't have a water heating inlet so it is blanked off

DSC00172r.JPG

DSC00173r.JPG

now, if the gasket was worn or damaged it would be entirely possible for boost to get past it and into the water system, pressurising it and causing the problems you are experiencing. a sniffer test wouldn't show this up as it is just pure compressed air at this point.

DSC00164rl.JPG

DSC00172rl.JPG

also, while we were doing this we noticed that the genuine gasket toyota supplied us was wrong. had we fitted it we would have pissed water all down the back of the engine

DSC00165r.JPG

gasket that originally came with the engine, laid over the new one

DSC00166r.JPG

note in both pics you can see light through the hole, confirming this hole is part of the cooling system as we were directing the light into the water jacket.

Ian

to be honest....i dont think that hole is the problem.....like u said before, it will just leak and as it has been mentioned before (long time ago) ....there are basically two types of manifold set ups---which u have highlighted

the most it will do with the wrong gasket is leak water....which anyone putting up the engine should realise almost immediately when assembling---and then go and get the right intake gasket (the gasket that matches basically).......as i say, just put some sealant around it.and u will have no problems

i cannot see boost leaking from there --IF done up correctly ...at worst, it will leak water if poorly sealed anyway (boost or boost not)---probably more if u have a head gasket problem and running a lot of boost,,,,only due to the additional pressure

so all of that to say, its MAY not be the real root of the problem....its just a side efftect of the real problem-----maybe

Nick@TD.co.uk

Registered Trader <a href="http://www.TuningD
to be honest....i dont think that hole is the problem.....like u said before, it will just leak and as it has been mentioned before (long time ago) ....there are basically two types of manifold set ups---which u have highlighted

the most it will do with the wrong gasket is leak water....which anyone putting up the engine should realise almost immediately when assembling---and then go and get the right intake gasket (the gasket that matches basically).......as i say, just put some sealant around it.and u will have no problems

i cannot see boost leaking from there --IF done up correctly ...at worst, it will leak water if poorly sealed anyway (boost or boost not)---probably more if u have a head gasket problem and running a lot of boost,,,,only due to the additional pressure

so all of that to say, its MAY not be the real root of the problem....its just a side efftect of the real problem-----maybe
I also can't see that causing the problem, as if it was a problem all other starlet members would be having this problem surely?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
the pictures i put up of the gaskets were unreleated to be honest. it was just to show there were 2 types of gasket. you would know if you had the wrong one cos water would be pouring out of the back of the head.

what i was getting at was that there is a chance that boost could get past that few mm of gasket and make it's way into the water system

it may not be that at all, but it is one possibilty

Harvey

Member +
No i dont think the boost level would cause enough pressure to trouble the coolant system. It is a very interesting find though, why didnt they have the water warmed intake manifolds... presumably cos it was only sold in japan where its 'normally' warmer?

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
No i dont think the boost level would cause enough pressure to trouble the coolant system. It is a very interesting find though, why didnt they have the water warmed intake manifolds... presumably cos it was only sold in japan where its 'normally' warmer?

did they not do a 'winter version' GT, that came with yellow headlights etc? maybe that had a water heated inlet.

A special edition was available : the 'Snow Version' which was designed for colder regions. These featured snow tyres, yellow headlamps, different alternators and a stronger starting system.

http://www.ukstarletclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=5416&st=0&p=76591&#entry76591

Last edited:

GTti

Member +
Kelly, you should flush the coolant and replace it with 4Life. See what happens to the coolant under some heavy load.

Kelly

Member +
Kelly, you should flush the coolant and replace it with 4Life. See what happens to the coolant under some heavy load.

its all new coolant after the head being done etc!

dub-seven -- thanx for the info and thought gone into your post but surely if that was the prob about 50% of the starlets on this site would experience something? :S

anyone ever think that under hard acceleration that there is simply too much pressure in the system and it just needs releasing?

Ive been told of a few ppl that the rad cant be blocked all seems work fine/ flushes fine and also the whole rad gets warm.

Nick's just recently fitted a new rad (civic uprated rad) and has releaved his symtoms alot , altho not gone completly. so he's on about the same sort of level of us now when it comes to throwing coolant out :p

GTti

Member +
No what I meant was, 4Life coolant changes colour when exhaust gasses etc mix with it. So if it's lifting under load only, the coolant will change - this is perhaps can't be picked up under normal conditions with the sniffer test.

I think it's worth doing for such little money.