water leak -metal coolant pipe under manifold

fantasiagreen

Fresh Recruit
Hi all

Got a small leak from the metal coolant pipe coming out the back of the water pump. Goes along the back of the engine under the inlet manifold.

Anyone ever had to remove this - looks like its gonna be a right sh*t? Any tips?

Cheers
Andrew

Jay

Admin
This pipe connects to the waterpump along the back of the engine block.

Due to the fact it is metal, this pipe can corrode (usually from the inside out) and on older models eventually leak. A healthy cooling system will help prolong it's lifespan.

Part number : 16322-11161
Price : £24.92
Pic:

brakepadsanddiscs1887dq9.jpg

Handy to replace if the inlet manifold is out of the way - otherwise it's a little tricky to get access.

fantasiagreen

Fresh Recruit
Thanks for the reply Jay. Do you know by any chance how it fits in and is held in place at the water pump end? I know there is an o ring (I've already ordered it from Toyota) but is it a push fit, held in place by a bolt through the bracket seen in the picture? Or something else?

cheers
Andrew

Trevor

Member +
Fit

Yes it is a push fit with the O'Ring.It's quite tight and hard to git seated properly.Spray the o'ring and the socket it goes into with wd40 and that should make it a lot easier to get seated properly.
Thanks for the reply Jay. Do you know by any chance how it fits in and is held in place at the water pump end? I know there is an o ring (I've already ordered it from Toyota) but is it a push fit, held in place by a bolt through the bracket seen in the picture? Or something else?

cheers
Andrew

stevewarne

Fresh Recruit
I am trying to solve your problem.....
My best suggestion to you is to go to your local Saturn dealer and buy the part there, if you plan to fix it yourself. That t-shaped coolant hose rarely water leaks, so finding it at your local big name auto chain will be a hard thing to do. Even if you did find one, it would probably not be of the same quality as one you would find from your dealer. It doesn't cost that much more.
They will have no problem finding the correct part. I don't know that it has a specific name, just that one end of the tee ends up in the coolant reservoir. It was the same part from 96-02. JB Weld will hold it for the time being, but the trick is getting the JB Weld on there without contaminating it with coolant. Hope this helps,