Ghost Hunting in St Augustine Florida

gv1.3

Admin
Please bear in mind before reading this that I am pretty sceptical and believe what I can see... this is my account of what happened on a clear night in Florida last Saturday. The pictures have not been altered in any way except the second group of pictures which have had the brightness increased so the items in it can be seen more clearly.... read on ... :)

Recently I was in borders book store and I came across a book about haunted
Florida. I bought the book and had a flick through it reading interesting stories
about different parts of Florida and the various stories behind each haunting. I
was looking for something to do this weekend so asked my girlfriend if she fancied going to one of the locations. We decided on St Augustine which is about 3 hours drive from Tampa on the East Coast of Florida.

We booked a hotel for Saturday night and planned on visiting some of the different locations mentioned in the book including the fort, cemetary, a couple of haunted houses and what is supposedly the main centre of paranomal activity, St Augustine Lighthouse. Being the oldest city in America I was looking forward to having a look around.

I charged up my phone. laptop, camera and video camera the night before. I thought maybe we might require the laptop and phone if we needed to consult google for directions etc as the book did not give very good directions or full addresses so the GPS could only get us to towns and we would have to find our own way from there.

We drove to St Augustine, checked in and went out for a walk to check the place out. We went into the fort and visited the cemetary and walked through the very old streets. As it began to get dark we went for dinner and then got the car and drove to the lighthouse. The lighthouse can be seen from all over St Augustine so it was not very difficult to find but once you turn off the main road you are on small streets with trees on either side with that floridian moss hanging down from the branches and blocking out all light from the moon giving the place a very uneasy feel.

We pulled into the carpark and got ourselves prepared checking camera and video camera. I pushed the power button on the video camera but it would not turn on. I tried it again and still nothing. I asked my girlfriend had she forgotten to switch it off after she last used it earlier that day and she said she had made sure it was off. I took the battery out and put it back in and the camera turned on. I have never had this happen since the very first time I have used this camera and I thought it was very odd. The still camera switched on fine.

We went into the main office and waited for our tour guide to appear. They gave us large glow sticks and led us from the main office through some very dark woods which led to the lighthouse keepers house and the lighthouse. We were taken into the main room of the lighthouse keepers house and briefed on what the tour involved and an idea of what has been seen at this location.

The tour is split in to three parts, a tour into the lighthouse where you climb
the 219 steps to the top and can go out onto the observation deck and look out over the surrounding area. The second part of the tour is into the lighthouse keepers house which is a large house with a basement and the final part is a "quiet time" where you are free to roam in the house, the lighthouse, the grounds or back in the woods. They advised us that the "residents" (ghosts) like to roam around and have been seen and heard everywhere from right across the street to the woods, buildings and carpark.

I wasnt feeling particularly on edge but then they gave the first of their tips.
They informed us that it is perfectly normal for cameras, phones and other
electrical equipment to suddenly stop working and then begin working again as the "residents" have this effect on electrical equipment..... my mind turned to the incident with my video camera... hmmm I was still sceptical.

We began the tour and into the lighthouse we went. Up all the stairs and out at the top. The climb to the top is done in total darkness and you are told not to make any sound whatsoever so it is pretty quiet. You know that feeling you get when something isnt right or when you feel someone is watching you and the hair stands up on your neck.... well... I wasnt getting it at all. It wasnt in the least bit scary or didnt feel at all like there was something supernatural in the close vacinity.

When we desecnded from the top of the lighthouse and came back down my girlfriend and I stopped about half way down and were on our own in total silence and darkness and still it just wasnt at all odd. We went the rest of the way down and waited directly across from the lighthouse at the keepers house. While we waited for everyone else to come down so we could move on to the second part of the tour I decided to take some photos of the lighthouse. I took my camera out and made sure it was set to auto mode and began taking some photos.... it was a totally clear night ... TOTALLY clear... and as I began shooting some pictures I noticed some very odd items in the pictures that were not visible to either me or my girlfriend. I have since used some software "capture NX2" to brighten the image which revealed even more detail of the odd images I captured.

SERIES OF IMAGES UNEDITED

248.jpg

240.jpg

241.jpg

242.jpg

243.jpg

IMAGES WITH BRIGHTNESS ADJUSTED USING SOFTWARE

240edit.jpg

242edit.jpg

I have no idea at all what caused what is in these pictures. My girlfriend was standing beside me watching and was as surprised as I was. She took her point and shoot camera out and took a picture and also captured some so called "orbs" in her images. I have taken a lot of photos at night with the same camera and have never captured anything like this.

We went into the keepers house and got the tour but still at no point felt uneasy. During our "quiet time" we sat around various parts in total darkness including the woods looking back toward the lighhouse. I took more pics and in onee of them I captured a similar photo with this unexplained stuff in them. This tells me that the unexplained items in the pictures were not caused by a reflection or something in the location where I was standing because they are not in all of the photos and are in photos from two totally different locations.

PHOTO FROM THE WOODS

272.jpg

The tour guides told us many stories of people chatting to small girls in the woods during the daytime tours telling office staff that there were little girls on their own in the woods but upon investigation it turns out there was no one there.

Having searched a little on google since coming back from St Augustine I found a TV series called "Ghost Hunters" who have visited this location twice and have actually caught things on audio and video. You can check out the episodes on google video if you search for ghost hunters augustine.

The next day we went to the quarry pits, searched for another haunted house but couldnt find it despite using google maps and lots of searching whilst down dirt roads. We stopped off in a place called Starke on our way back to look at another haunted house on Cherry St... unfortunately there was a car parked around the back so we could only take some quick snaps.... check it out below... if ever there was a haunted house this is what it would look like hehe :)

311.jpg

Comments and questions welcome.

alan_d

Lifer
Outstanding photography sir!
May I ask how many young people were in your group, or the age groups present with you at the time? Just to be nosey?

spuddy

Ulster Area Rep.
Did u watch the episoide of Ghost hunters at that very lighthouse, it was mad the most active spot they've ever gone to, if u believe them and that its not a fix.

U can hear voices and see things for once in that particular show.

In fact they licked it so much they went back a second time.

Aidan-G

Member +
fair play dylan:)

im amazed by this sort of thing..."orbs" that are caught from a camera they say its caused by moisture or dust particals and so on,which i believed until now,but from your pics i think i have changed my view on it..

a friend and myself have seen "orbs" first hand....we had been walking back from a friends house late one night(sober)my friend was walking infront of me,i was just behind him,they just came out of nowhere,it was probably the coolest thing i have seen in my life:)it was just as if they were flying over are head,sort of flickering,they were a blue/white colour and changed shapes..we just stood froze looking above our heads,if i had my head screwed on id say i could of reached as far as them!loleither of us didnt know if the other had seen it...as it passed we were still looking up froze,and i said to my friend "did you see that"..luckily he said yes...so i was relieved because i would of went rambleing on about it and noone would believe me:cool:

rep added dylan!that was a good read:)

alan_d

Lifer
remember the pic Jay posted for me at haloween???
there was another one taken at Xmas, this time there was a hand coming through the livingroom wall from the staircase behind it. Ive no doubt whatsoever what Dylan saw was legit!

alan_d

Lifer
any pics alan?:eek:

no mate, it was kept for a few days by the family then deleted, they just try and plough on regardless, it wont do them any harm, some say you shuold be more afraid of the living lol!!!

I know of one place were people cant go into however, its left abandonded with food on the table, theres photos of it on my hd somewhere. its in NI too

Dan3SGTE

Member +
ahhh, scary shit! Nice photos! Im not sure how i would have reacted if i took pics like that :S

reminds me, im off to a hanted castle on Febuary Friday 13th for a tour for my bros Birthday... Its up all the way in Wales! Its sitting on grounds of over 1000 years old. Hundreds & hundres of people have died in this place.......

Im rather scared but more curious!

Dar81

Lifer
Pretty cool pics man.. That haunted house is like the blueprint for what haunted houses should look like.

As you know, I'm a sceptic like yourself. Soon after the internet arrived on my desktop a good few years back, I discovered that the Amityville horror was a big crock of shit, which was devasating, and so the doubt began.. Despite this, I still love the mystery of the paranormal and, in particular, haunted houses/buildings.

Your pics are very interesting and a little eerie, even more so because I know you and I don’t doubt for a second that the pics are genuine and untampered

Pity you didn’t have you proton pack with you.. you could have brought a ghost home with you :)

alan_d

Lifer
Pity you didn’t have you proton pack with you.. you could have brought a ghost home with you :)

you dont need a proton pack to bring one home with you, if they like your energy they will tag along in the same way people would if you had a £20 note hanging out of your back pocket with a piece of string!

Jay

Admin
Really good read Dylan, enjoyed that!

Can I ask, those pics were taken with a flash mate yes? I know the auto setting on the D40 will use the flash but not sure on your D70. It may explain some of the abnormalities in the images.

This is the sort of thing I'd love to do.

Duff

Member +
Excellent read Dylan, Thanks.

I'm going on a tour of Charleville castle later this year. Supposed to be the most haunted location in Ireland. Infact I think that series Ghost Hunters did an episode there too. Can't wait. This stuff along with UFOs facinates me.

gv1.3

Admin
thanks for all the comments. The pics were all taken with the flash thats why I put the first one up because usually when I take pics with the flash at night I dont get any of the stuff that is in the other pics so I am still having trouble explaining it.

Those are the stairs that we climbed to the top. I have lots of pics from inside the lighthouse and the house itself but nothing showed up in any of them.

@ bridgo - oh you have solved it! I was smoking a bong and there was a smoke machine at the bottom of the lighthouse throwing a fog over the whole area... do you think that might have caused it?!? Explain how picture number one is as clear as can be.

To add a little bit more weirdness to the story.. when we got back to the hotel which was kinda a bit more like an old converted very large house. We went asleep and the next morning I got up and was going to the toilet while walking to the toilet I spotted a gold chain my girlfriend had been wearing lying right in the middle of the floor. She had put her watch etc on this little table and had it just fallen on the floor it would have been beside the table but instead it was right in the middle of the floor. That freaked her out a bit too.

I have all those photos in 10MB RAW format and the stuff is really clear when you zoom in on it.

lol at the proton pack... I didnt bring mine as I was nervous about crossing the beams :p

There were about 20 people on the tour and they were split up in to 2 groups. When those photos above were taken 1 group was up in the lighthouse and the other were in the keepers house.