removing track rod end from hub??

iamlegend

Member +
i have taken the nut of the bottom and soaked it with wd40, thought it would just come off but nothing, wacked it with a hammer and still nothing. any ideas on how to get this off????????

scot-ish

Member +
bit of wood under it mate, and give it a fair whack, they do take some hitting, or a pry bar and try pry it out. ive grinded one of before cos it was being a cunt

wish a knew you wer playing on the car, could tag teamed the gt's and got both of them done, im having a cunt of time with the simple task or rear discs and pads lol, although cant complain, had the car over 6 months, and this is the first bother its gave me, i would have rebuilt the peugeot by now if i still had it

andy.i

Member +
belt the side of the hub with hammer. the bit furthest away from the disc, nearest the doors.....or the bit that sticks out........hard to bloody explain!

iamlegend

Member +
sorted just needed a bigger hammer lol,

next thing is how do you get the rubber casing off what holds the arm futher in??? i see theres a metal bracket around it but hard to get to

WallaceGlanza

Member +
It just screws off but will most likely be seized on, there's a locking nut against it too normally so undo it first then just screw it off. You may need to heat it up though.

iamlegend

Member +
ive got the track rod end of dude^^^^^

:mad::mad::mad:

i cant remove the track rod out of the steering rack it just wont budge, any ideas????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

iamlegend

Member +
aaarrggghhh its such in a shitty place to be cant get much tools in!! i have turned the wheel full lock to the right so can acces the arm better but still,

come on guys some one must kno pleeeeaasseeee? :confused:

Texx

Super Moderator
You'll have to crack the lock nut off before removing the joint from the hub (this stops the track rod from spinning). Once the lock nut is loose, remove the joint from the hub and wind it off of the rod. If it's still a little tight then you may need to hold the track rod with a spanner (possibly a 12mm) and turn the track rod using the correct size spanner (possibly a 17mm). After you've replaced the track rod and track rod end, you'll need to have the front toe adjusted back into spec, although as a temporary measure, if your eyesight is good you can adjust it yourself by setting the steering wheel in the straight ahead position, then winding the replaced track rod in or out until the wheel appears to be sat in the same position as the wheel on the other side. It's not a totally accurate way of doing things, but it's better than leaving the wheel pointing out on the piss.

After each adjustment, turn the steering full lock both ways and then recentre the steering wheel before deciding if the adjustment made is enough or too much.

iamlegend

Member +
right the job is complete still feels fucked when driving still towing to the left :mad:

havent had the tracking done yet thow but dunno if thats going to sort ne thing!

so pissed of tbh really am it was perfect before as well, thinking of breaking the car again now just cant be arsed with it ne more

ktl

Member +
Well if you changed that part you def will need to get tracking done.

What have you changed so far since your accident ?

As you want to replace the parts you not changed.

iamlegend

Member +
just replaced the track rod end and track rod its crazy all i done was hit it into a curb, well i will get the tracking and have to go from there again i suppose! costing a fucking fortune this :mad: :mad:

scot-ish

Member +
what length did you make the new track rod end and rod?

dont break it just for that lol, mine is on the road jacked up, cos my rear brake caliper is fucked, so cant use it till i get a new caliper, least you can drive your one lol

oh, and if you break, ill have the toms wing, and the coilies lol

iamlegend

Member +
what length did you make the new track rod end and rod?

dont break it just for that lol, mine is on the road jacked up, cos my rear brake caliper is fucked, so cant use it till i get a new caliper, least you can drive your one lol

oh, and if you break, ill have the toms wing, and the coilies lol

just sick mate really am its 1 thing after another and its costing a fortune, thought you were selling up bud?? if i do break there yours...

Rory

Lifer
Stop throwing the dummy out of the pram.

Did you check to see if anything was bent, or did you assume it was either the track rod end or the track rod?

Get the car's allignment done on monday, no biggy.

iamlegend

Member +
Stop throwing the dummy out of the pram.

Did you check to see if anything was bent, or did you assume it was either the track rod end or the track rod?

Get the car's allignment done on monday, no biggy.

lmao, mate its just doing my head in lol

i changed the track rod & rod end becouse i was told by people on the forum as it looked bent in the pic and i thought it was bent as well. cant see any more sign of damage which is really confusing

ktl

Member +
lmao, mate its just doing my head in lol

i changed the track rod & rod end becouse i was told by people on the forum as it looked bent in the pic and i thought it was bent as well. cant see any more sign of damage which is really confusing

Yeah well then if you changed them next is the HUB,SHOCK,WISHBONE, everything that you not changed.

cause even when they align it it will still pull because of the bent item.