Toms GT Front mount intercooler

Starbo_87

Member +
been looking at intercoolers for a while now.

im wanting to fit a fmic to my toms kitted starlet gt, but as im still running with my aircon im hitting a few problems.

where the toms kit sinks back into the car, theres not enough room to fit an intercooler behind the bumper as the aircon rad and ancillaries are there.

i cant seem to find an intercooler small enough to fit in the space i have available in the gap of the front bumper front bumper.

ive been looking into doin this and i think if i could get an intercooler with the dimensions 650mm long 160mm width and 60mm depth finished sizes not core.

does any1 know where i could get an intercooler for these dimensions?

also has any1 got any pictures of a toms kitted gt with a fmic installed in the space at the bottom of the bumper.

Cheers

Ross

Smore

Lifer
i have tried it before and the toms bumper would have to be cut to fit for example the blitz fmic

Starbo_87

Member +
i have tried it before and the toms bumper would have to be cut to fit for example the blitz fmic

yeah im definately gonna need to cut it a bit but i was hoping to only have to chop two circles on either side to get the intercooler pipes through.

i might just pull the aircon out, but i was thinking of keeping the aircon installed.

With the Toms bumper and Autobahn Intercooler we just had to trim round the pipies, no a/c though
star2-1.jpg

Starbo_87

Member +
yeah maybe i need to do away with the aircon then, how hard is it to take the aircon out, after getting it degassed of course.

ps Dave it was me who spoke to you the other day about the hybrid tubo ct9. ill be getting in touch about that again soon.

No problem mate, when its de gassed its easy, literally unbolting stuff. You will need a smaller belt for the PAS and you will have the bridge the connection from the a/c plug on the pipework to stop the fan running continually

Starbo_87

Member +
No problem mate, when its de gassed its easy, literally unbolting stuff. You will need a smaller belt for the PAS and you will have the bridge the connection from the a/c plug on the pipework to stop the fan running continually

oh right cool, im toying with the idea of doin this but im not sure whether i should or just leave my car on the tune it has at the moment.

decisions decisions

asifatyard21

Member +
with blitz you can keep the air con just have to cut a little out the bumper, which i chose to do which means keeping air con for bit of work.

Starbo_87

Member +
with blitz you can keep the air con just have to cut a little out the bumper, which i chose to do which means keeping air con for bit of work.

yeah ive always said i wanna keep my aircon, but with this bloody kit & the aircon it makes it near impossible to fit pipes in here and there.

its a pig to even find an intercooler that will fit in the miniscule gap i have anyway lol

i was gonna do my own intercooler set up, cause ive got a pal who can make or get me the pipes needed to do it. but im struggling to sort a way of getting the outlet from the turbo down to where its to meet the intercooler.

lol i might end up giving it up soon.

Starbo_87

Member +
Autobahn keeps the a/c as do most others

yeah i might end up just buying a kit, i dont wanna cut my kit about to much really though.

do the pipes fit just as easy even though there is aircon installed? also can a air filter relocation kit still be installed?

Starbo_87

Member +
They will fit the same with a/c but you will need to mount the filter somewhere other than in the grille

where else can the filter be located to, as to still get the flutter?

also what happens to the various vacuum hoses that attached to the standard black intake pipe?

sx_turbo

Lifer
if u have a hks actuator o beleive you dont need the vacume hoses going to the efi pipe.

keeping the air con is a bastard, i'm toying with the idea of getting rid of it to, but my dad will go spare so i kinda hoping it gonna break to give me an excuse to get rid of it.

Starbo_87

Member +
if u have a hks actuator o beleive you dont need the vacume hoses going to the efi pipe.

keeping the air con is a bastard, i'm toying with the idea of getting rid of it to, but my dad will go spare so i kinda hoping it gonna break to give me an excuse to get rid of it.

lol i know man, i'll get rid of the aircon if i have too but its just something i always wanted to keep. just incase we actually ever get a real summer lol.

still wondering, if i get rid of the black pipe i could gause over the turbo inlet, that would make some noise.

Ross

Rik

Member +
Starlet001.jpg

That's my TOM'S with an Autobahn FMIC, still got aircon in but thinking about ripping it out for extra room an air filter relocation. All I had to do was trim the bumper down :)

jamesbaa

Member +
sorry to start up an old thread but it saved me starting a whole new one. I was wondering if anyone has any pictures off a WEPR front mount fitted with a TOMs bumper, and also any pictures off how you made it fit, did you need to remove aircon or not???

glanzanut

Lifer
why dont you get an Ark uprated top mounted intercooler they are rated pretty good and would solve the hassle your having

DrPsi

Member +
I have the Wicked EP Racing front mount kit sitting behind a toms front bar and still running air con. The only problem (if you wanna call it that) it that the turbo pipe holds the radiator forward against the support but other than that its all fine. Hes a quick pick of how it looks at the front

B70A3901.jpg