Boost leak/fuel cut

gtevi

Member +
Hey guys my gt starlet is hitting what I think is fuel cut at just under 5k with my foot flat to the floor.
Would it be worth getting a boost and vaccum leak test to check for any tiny leaks, all the hose are very old but I can't see any damage or cracks.
Is it something easy enough to do yourself or best to get a mechanic to do?
For reference I have a 94 gt with exhaust, decat, wepr mani hks adjustment actuator, ct9 (rebuild)with wastegate slightly ported.

SKINY

Lifer
Hose leaks can be a nuisance to find on old hoses, you could try listening while blipping the throttle or some soapy water rubbed over them will soon reveal bubbles
You can do a smoke test yourself, plenty of videos on YouTube shows how it's done :)

gtevi

Member +
Yeah I've seen few YouTube clips but none on a 4efte. I know it would be the same situation for most motors but I'm far from a mechanic and a little paranoid ill do something stupid.
Skinny, you been a big help in my journey so far if I could judt get your guidance or steps as to how I go about it, it would be a massive help.
This is my girl. Cheers

Attachments

• 20240211_194340.jpg
    20240211_194340.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 8

gtevi

Member +
Yeah I've seen few YouTube clips but none on a 4efte. I know it would be the same situation for most motors but I'm far from a mechanic and a little paranoid ill do something stupid.
Skinny, you been a big help in my journey so far if I could judt get your guidance or steps as to how I go about it, it would be a massive help.
This is my girl. Cheers
Referring to the smoke test, couldn't find/hear anything with the motor on.

Badmoon

Member +
Are you really sure you are hitting fuel cut? I had a cracked hose just before the MAP sensor and I never hit fuel cut... What it did, I believe, was to mess with the reading of the sensor which allowed higher boost pressure in the system, not hitting fuel cut and resulting in a broken piston in my case. When you hit fuel cut the engine suddently stops to produce power which results in a violent shake, its not something good to experience and neither do you want to hit it.

gtevi

Member +
I'm 99% sure it's fuel cut I does violently jolt at around 4.5k. I adjusted the actuator out 1 rotation that has stopped it. I would like to dos a proper smoke test to check for vac or boost leaks when I get the chance.

gtevi

Member +
Hi, sorry for the late reply. I've just done the engine diagnostic abd it's only giving me fault code 12.
I've also noticed its idling around 1200 rpm.

SKINY

Lifer
Always a fun 1 that
Check condition of your dizzy cap, roter arm, king lead, connections etc, check the ignitor plugs too and wiring etc :)
Dizzy send a signal to the ignitor to let it know its turning then the ignitor sends the signal back to the dizzy to tell it to send sparks down the leads :)
Can also be a snapped timing belt, but car wouldn't run then and you would hear a difference with only the bottom end moving when cranking.

to expand on Skiny's etc.---spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor, coil,

depending, you could start with the cheap/easy ones first---rotor arm, dizzy cap, spark plugs, king lead & spark plug wires, connections/wiring/grounding,

then get to testing/checking the more expensive items---ignitor, coil, distributor

look for wear/hairline cracks/breaks in the rotor arm, distributor cap, spark plug wires...look for corrosion in the plug wire connections to the coil and dizzy....look for oil/residue in the distributor cap and distributor signal points

if you have time, you can change each item one by one...so you identify the problem

SKINY

Lifer
Yea Buddy :)
Mine had a slight misfire that was only picked up on the dyno, didn't even notice it driving. It was the Dizzy cap and king lead end that had a badly corroded terminal, Jay lucky enough had a spare in stock that he kindly lent me until new stuff came from Toyota :)

gtevi

Member +
Check the dizzy and rotor are and they seem pretty good condition. What's the best way to check condition of king lead.
Also a little off topic but it's there anyone on here that can make or have a bracket for a rotated ct9 for a short route fmic piping? Should I post this elsewhere?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240320_214508_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_214508_Samsung Internet.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240320_214503_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240320_214503_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 3

gtevi

Member +
So I've noticed that on initial cold start up idle and throughout the drive it'll idle at around 1200 (say a 20min to 30min drive) then turn the car off 20min or so, start back up the idle will drop really low 400/500rpm bouncing around that trying not to stall. Surely this has to be something pretty simple.
Skiny, I have checked what I can. Dizzy cap and points look fine and clean, spark plugs are fairly new.

gtevi

Member +
The idle is consistent on start up and when warm but only drops to almost what seems like stalling when car has been turned off and on again when still warm.