500rpm On Idle...Not Right!

Aimee

Member +
Turned car on yesterday an as stated in title the car was sitting at 500rpm on idle. Didnt even sound as though car had been turned on. Opened bonnet could here an air leak coming from somewhere, Took the lead that attached to the dumpvalve off an the car kicked in an sat at 1000rpm put it back on an it dropped again is my dumpvalve knackerd? Or could it be something else? Also the belts started squeeking whenever i dropped down a gear or dropped speed yesterday. The belts were changed just before i got the car. :confused: Think i need to have the whole car checked over to be fair as yesterday she just didnt seem right. Sluggish in 1st gear too, once in 2nd pulled like normal.

Any opinions on what to do, or any info on what it is will be appreciated an you will be rep'd

Thanks Aimee x

glanza97

UNTRUSTED SELLER
When you take a vacuum off, your car will increase in rpm thats normal... your idle problem could be a few things... like your idle control valve

And if your belts a squeeking, then it normally means they need tightening... just check with your finger how slack or tight they are...

Aimee

Member +
When you take a vacuum off, your car will increase in rpm thats normal... your idle problem could be a few things... like your idle control valve

And if your belts a squeeking, then it normally means they need tightening... just check with your finger how slack or tight they are...

Dub-Se7en

Lifer
first thing, cure your vacuum leak by properly attaching the dump valve pipe, fire the car in and get it up to temperature, then adjust the idle using the idle screw and a flat bladed screwdriver

DSCN1300idlescrew.jpg

Bazza

Member +
cheers mate i knew i could adjust it myself just couldnt remember where it was! :)

one thing i will say is it only happens on idle and when you change gear foot flat to the fllor on the clutch its drops below 1k and makes the lights dim and everything!

glanza_dan

Fresh Recruit
If the belts a squeeking it means one off the belts are slipping, get it sorted if it is or your will snap like mine did