5E-FTE, what inlet manifold to use?

Car will have VEMS fitted in time.
Should an N/A manifold with TVIS be fitted?
VEMS can switch the TVIS so low end torquey and high end flows free.
But is the plenum still too small for forced induction?

Is the car better off with just the 4E-FTE inlet manifold??
Any dyno proof for your reasoning?

http://bajanchameleon.com/5efhe_test1.html

if your are going to use the TVIS system........do it RIGHT or dont do it at all.....the graphs show u why.........u can get gains with it if used properly....or loses if used incorrectly as a few have done

if u cant get it dynoed to find out the correct cross over point for your setup...then run the 4efte inlet manifold,,,unitl u can

Toyota T23

Member +
882002.jpg

I use my 5efe manifold, works great, keep pulling past 6000rpm..
I get it dynoed tomorrow, but i am sure it will show good result, because i keep adding fuel past 6000 rpm, and that means good flow..

hardcoreep

Member +
That would be counter to my own dyno experience and manifold design. We tend to use that manifold a lot and what happens is that it caps top end power vs the normal manifold. What people do in Jamaica is extend the surge tank area to try and get back top end power. As Hoodey proves turbochargers don't like long runners. But I'm looking forward to the dyno.

turbowagon2.jpg

Here it is, note the tank area.
tapcover.jpg

4Einmanifold.jpg

Stock.

Toyota T23

Member +
Did you just use the stock exaust manifold, and modified it to fit the turbo ??
And what turbo are you using ?.
If you loose power on high rpms, often the problem is to small turbo..

NosydneW

Member +
I think that hardcoreep is right.
That manifold is ideal for torque and turbo spool up on a small turbo. But at higher rpm and bigger turbo's you will notice that the topend would be restricted... even after the canister has been enlarged.
But torque increase will be amazing due to long equal length inatake runners.

Toyota T23

Member +
Well works fine on my 5e engine with GT28R, and stock cams..
Like i said before dyno, i keep adding fuel to 6000 rpm, and notice that nice NM i got over a long range.
This means good flow, i am very happy with result, keep in mine stock engine and only 0,65 bar..

938125.jpg

187 hp and 229 nm

Hardcorreep what throttlebody are you using ? the 5e ?, if yes, then i understand why you loose hp and nm on high rpms

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
The set up above makes over 300whp. Since your set up hasn't passed 200whp I don't suspect you'll notice a difference.

The car above uses the 5E exhaust manifold, with a td05-16g. The throttle body is the larger 4AGE unit.

Nobody uses the CT9 round these parts. Its the first thing to go. The majority of cars use td04s, but the big guys use td05. Very frew people use Garretts, take too long to spool, and very narrow powerband verses the equivalent MHI.

That graph looks exactly like my td04-15g run.

Last edited:

Toyota T23

Member +
Well this is only wintercar for my wife, and if i want to go past 300, i will make my own intake manifold, and change cams :)

Toyota T23

Member +
Hardcorreep so you mean if i tune it up, say 1 bar around 220hp, then i will se hp and NM dropping very much on high RPM..
Well we se it, i am gonna dyno it next weekend, at 1 bar..

hardcoreep

Member +
Hoodey's car is in the 250whp range. I suspect you'd see the difference around there. The first car we tested with it did 235whp. Swapped off the manifold for a standard one after that.

hardcoreep

Member +
What I have found is that the manifold boosts low-end torque in small turbo low power set-ups. Quite frankly it operates best in the power range you have. However, one you start pushing for over 200whp, depending on your turbocharger the manifold will become a restriction because a)the surge area is smaller than the standard intake manifold b)the length of the runners. I suspect this is why Toyota didn't bother fitting it to the 4EFTE because they wanted the best spread possible.

As you can see with Hoodey's dyno sheet the longer runners made massive torque, but dropped horsepower at higher rpms. Funny enough he's using the same turbocharger you are. What you might want to do is test against the standard FTE intake.

Last edited:

hardcoreep

Member +
Well i se what happends next weekend.
Did you modifi head, or just stock ?
Stock engines. we rarely go into those things here. Just buy it and boost it. I personally don't see the benefit of headwork on the E-series engine unless you're going for every last bit of hp.

goldenvtr

Member +
Glad i looked this up as i was looking for one of those manifolds.

Hardcore, What would you say is better out of the 4efte manifold and the 5efe one AFTER its been extender? i shall be aiming for around 250WHP.

hey goldenvtr....u should go check out hardcore's site.....he has a full write up on manifolds......well last time i remembered.....would explain it all for u