air filter/boost problems..

hatchet_66

Fresh Recruit
i Recently a similar question but still have teh same trouble. I bought a new air filter and relocation kit so that it sits in front of the grill and get rid ofthe old efi flter pipe. but the pipe that goes from the actuator, round past the hi/lo boost button solenoid then to theold pipe.. i had nowhere to pt it so ive bought a vacuum hose take off point ad attached it to the new filter pipe the same as the last one the problem i have is... it is boostin too much and when i get to 5000 revs it cuts the power and i dont know why.any ideas plaese? i dnt know whether it might be to do with the fcd i have.. that was on the car when i bought it not sure wot it does really... thanks. Ian.

Rumel786

Member +
i Recently a similar question but still have teh same trouble. I bought a new air filter and relocation kit so that it sits in front of the grill and get rid ofthe old efi flter pipe. but the pipe that goes from the actuator, round past the hi/lo boost button solenoid then to theold pipe.. i had nowhere to pt it so ive bought a vacuum hose take off point ad attached it to the new filter pipe the same as the last one the problem i have is... it is boostin too much and when i get to 5000 revs it cuts the power and i dont know why.any ideas plaese? i dnt know whether it might be to do with the fcd i have.. that was on the car when i bought it not sure wot it does really... thanks. Ian.

to me it seems like your fcd is not installed properly and when you hit 5k and losing power you are hitting fuel cut.....

In reaguards to the boost....well after relocating your air filter you are having boost creep.

What are you using to control boost?

are you on the standard actuator with no ebc?

also what boost are you running to hit fuel cut? (do you have a boost gauge to monitor what boost you are running?)

hatchet_66

Fresh Recruit
i Have a standard actuator, and with the old filter it was running 0.6 hkpa, now it goes to 1.1 and cuts the power. this has only happend snce i changed the air filter

Rumel786

Member +
i Have a standard actuator, and with the old filter it was running 0.6 hkpa, now it goes to 1.1 and cuts the power. this has only happend snce i changed the air filter

Yes mate it does seem like you are hitting fuel cut at that level of boost....

Do not run the car on this boost level as it can cause damage.

You should look into getting a good ebc to help control boost.

What turbo are you running?

Have a read here to learn more about boost creep

http://www.toyotagtturbo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53375

hatchet_66

Fresh Recruit
i was thinking bout getting a boost conroller anywayso i will def get one now.. cheers for ur help gunna have a read up on what u just gave me..

Rumel786

Member +
its a ct9 hybrid turbo

Definately a no no on boosting at that level without management.

You should first get a good boost controller,fit the fcd in properly and get a rrfpr and get the car on a wideband to see how she's running fuel wise.

Personally i dont recommend running anything above 0.8 bar if you are on the stock mani as it has been discussed alot about a restriction in the 3rd runner which has led to alot of pistons going lol

Rumel786

Member +
ah. ok! what is an rrfpr?

RRFPR = Rising rate fuel pressure regulator.

You can just invest in a aftermarket ecu (if you are not planning on running anything above 1 bar you can get a plug and play ecu like a jam ecu)

These ecu's should be ok for you to run 1 bar safely fuelling wise and also removes fuel cut and de-restricts the car.

But Even if you do buy a jam ecu it is still recommended for you to get the car rolling roaded/on a wideband just to make sure she is ok ;)