Anti-Tow Devices?

John757

Member +
Hello guys,

What kind of security devices are there to help stop people towing your car away? I know there's tilt sensor's on alarms and then trackers are good once it's been stolen, but im after something else that will really slow them down? Maybe an expensive proven wheel clamp...but im unsure how a wheel clamp would affect a thiefs towing ability's if there just pulling it say on to a truck? Any ideas and suggestion's would be appreciated.

Dane_Bristol

Member +
I have even heard that they are willing to drive up next to it and use a crane which straps around the car and they can just lift it onto a trailer simple. I think the bottom line is if a theif wants it they will have it. Tracker is the best option i say some on the market will alert the owner 30 secs from when the car leaves its position and then alert the police and the car is found via the tracking however this is not bullet proof as some pro theifs know exactly how to defuse them. Just have the take your chances mate and go wit hTracker if serious about security. Just my opinion.

John757

Member +
I'll tie the little fecker down to the floor if I have to then! 4 motorbike security rings in the ground and strap it to the axle.

John757

Member +
No I live in a very small very quiet little village, but after my Mk1 was stolen over a month ago im paranoid it's going to happen again! Just trying to cover all bases :p I've even considered sleeping in a bivvy bag for a couple of weeks just up a dark footpath to wait for them if they came back. Now that maybe a little extreme... :rolleyes:

basketash

Member +
cctv camera system that blaitent is always a good deterent lol or you could get a rottwieler as a car dog and let it sleep inside over ight that would be a good one

cole

Member +
pull the fuse out for the ecu on a night or fuel pump etc ... if you really do feel parranoid

John757

Member +
So you got it back mate or not ? I would be paranoid too but wouldnt go that far.

Nope, it's not been seen anywhere fella, Im absloutley gutted. Especially now im looking for another GT and there's nothing anywhere near as clean as that one was. Can't even find a clean Mk1 never mind one with mods. I leave the house early door's when it's dark for work and Im paranoid someone's going to jump me now! Least the insurance paid out everythin I paid for the car though, so I have my money back.

As for leaving the car in gear, I always leave the car in gear, with the handbrake on. They can snip the handbrake cables and work it out of gear from under the car I've been told? My own school boy error for not having a good alarm I suppose. Thought an immob would of been enough.

Anyway I might go down the wheel clamp route anyway...it's just another deterrent which may or may not help. Quick release steering wheel will be another.

lleey2k4

Member +
Idea......

Concrete 2 metal rings into ur drive and attach your 2 tow bars to it maybe that would stop everything.

Wouldn't cost too much too if you got the time and skills.

Or even a bar to stick in the ground if you got a drive.

Sheldon

Malta Area Rep.
if you park in a drive in. put a pole or two after your car... :) and put a hidden switch for the fuel pump!/remove EFI fuse.

Streetech

Member +
Get one of these. :rockon:

ed1-1.jpg

I have a snap-off wheel on my Mk1 aswell as the alarm. Probably will only slow a decent thief down a little but gives me a piece of mind. I had a wheel clamp but only a cheap one so wasnt worth it, more of a paper weight than a security device.

Last edited: