any electricians on here?

durmz

Member +
could do with some help about how to wire up an extractor fan, will go into more detail if someone is willing to help, ta

durmz

Member +
cool mate ile just bluuuurt that shit out on here. ok, I do BASIC maintanance at a building in london, due to me not being scared about getting hands on I blag most tasks first time and slowly over the last year have learnt most stuff but now Ive been told to sort this fucker out.

We have a small kitchen at work that requires extraction and while I was off we had a fuse spur installed on a new circuit by PIP electrical. I now need to use that to wire up a small extraction fan, gonna get a core cutter in to put hole in the wall, theres nothing behind there so thats sweet. the fuse spur is up high so to switch it on and off would be a bitch.

I was thinking of using a bathroom pull cord switch to turn it on and off, this would be ideal anyways. but what switch would be right? and how do i wire that up? uploading pics right now

J25GTi

Lifer
What size is the fan? (Physical and amps)

What type of fan? Like a small bathroom fan or a bit kitchen fan (for the hoods etc?)

J25GTi

Lifer
I imagine from what you have said it is quite a big fan, otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the expense of putting a new circuit in for it.

As a like 4inch bathroom fan would just be ran off of the lighting circuit

durmz

Member +
a4bdbf77.jpg

18cb5460.jpg

14495a79.jpg

e975ca44.jpg

9064b0d0.jpg

its like 152mm, called a vent axia silhouette kitchen fan, im gonna smash a hood round it afterwards

durmz

Member +
its not that its big its just that we really need it, the catering guys have got some shoddy piece of shit cooker, but they need it to do basic hot food, and were not allowed it without some form of extraction, so its gonna be run right under a hood to this dinky fan. I got one as big as the hole I would be able to cut with a core cutter

J25GTi

Lifer
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/ASCS3PIF.html

That should do you.

Right, you should have a 3 core cable coming into that fuse spur. (Or a 4 core)

The fan requires

1x switch live (brown)
1x neutral (blue)
1x permenant live (brown, grey or black depending on the cable you use but needs to be sleeved brown)
And an earth (green + yellow)

So each of the lives + neutral go into that switch I posted above. And come out and go to the fan.

DO NOT switch the earth.

If you only have a 3 core incoming cable to the spur in the fan isolator you need to link from brown across to brown and run a 4core flex to the fan from the outgoing side of the isolator.

Also can you get a pic of how the cables are made off into the top of the spur? (The actual glands)

J25GTi

Lifer
Now, what type of kitchen is this in? Is it a commercial kitchen or just a staff room?

I'm not sure about the rules on the staff room as its been ages since I did my hvac course (I used to build plant rooms and control panels etc)

But if its commercial then it should have air pressure switches linked to the gas supply and a gas proving system on it. And an emergency stop button...

Ben89

Lifer
I personally would put a vent axia fan speed controller on it for a kitchen, the. You can control the fan speed etc, would make it easier or you to wire also.

J25GTi

Lifer
Baring in mind he isn't an electrician and that would mean running cables down the wall etc, where as a pull switch can be mounted next to the spur and a flex run to the fan.

Its a lot simpler as he isn't an electrician.

Less complicated and less to go wrong

J25GTi

Lifer
And I'm not disagreeing with you ben, I would put one in too,

I just think if he isn't sure of what to do the way I put is simplest and less likley to go wrong

glanzanut

Lifer
Now, what type of kitchen is this in? Is it a commercial kitchen or just a staff room?

I'm not sure about the rules on the staff room as its been ages since I did my hvac course (I used to build plant rooms and control panels etc)

But if its commercial then it should have air pressure switches linked to the gas supply and a gas proving system on it. And an emergency stop button...
I was just going to say the exact thing, if it's gas and the fan is the only form of extract then it has to be correctly rated for the kw rating of the appliance as well.

Last edited:

J25GTi

Lifer
So its just a convector oven? Personally I'd wire it into an emergency stop through a contactor to be safe.

The fan will be fine wired up the way I've said to do it above. You won't need any safety switches etc.

The only other thing is, the cables going into the spur are terminated wrong. I'd get the electricians back to fix it.