any ideas on code 34

dan-gt

Member +
engine managent light came on my bro in laws glanza, put the reader on there and its giving me 34 ( excessive turbo charging pressure ) car runs a bar on hybrid and has done for quite some time now, would i be right in thinking to put a new map sensor in there or is there any other ideas thankyou

dark_knight

Member +
time of the event

what was happening when the ECU threw the code..? was he (or you) giving it the beans..? is the turbo itself ok..? wastegate..? actuator..? maybe you split a hose and are now overboosting..?

dark_knight

Member +
code:34 root cause

instead of starting a new thread, lemi hijack this one.. :)
i also recently got a code:34 after rebuilding my ct9b. initially, i had bent the actuator arm to make up for the weak spring in order to hold boost better and i was boosting happily at 0.7bar for a long time.

then turbo rebuild time came during which, i noticed the impeller blades were pretty worn and so the turbo proli had to spin up a lot faster to compensate. now with the new impeller, it's boosting to 0.8bar (& sometime slightly higher) and it's my guess that the new turbo is working much more efficiently and the actuator (still with the old settings) may not be letting go enough -- indicating overboost..? one night, i got the CEL and on checking when i got home, it was the code:34.

now, the interesting thing is, i didn't hit fuel cut but the CEL still stayed on. can anyone explain..? i've always thought the code:34 should only come if the charge pressure superceeds 0.85bar..? can anyone confirm..?

H_D

Member +
engine managent light came on my bro in laws glanza, put the reader on there and its giving me 34 ( excessive turbo charging pressure ) car runs a bar on hybrid and has done for quite some time now, would i be right in thinking to put a new map sensor in there or is there any other ideas thankyou

Sounds like fuel cut to me mate,
when the eml came on did the car hesitate and judder?
what boost was ya runnin when this happened?
what mods does the car have?

H_D

Member +
instead of starting a new thread, lemi hijack this one.. :)
i also recently got a code:34 after rebuilding my ct9b. initially, i had bent the actuator arm to make up for the weak spring in order to hold boost better and i was boosting happily at 0.7bar for a long time.

then turbo rebuild time came during which, i noticed the impeller blades were pretty worn and so the turbo proli had to spin up a lot faster to compensate. now with the new impeller, it's boosting to 0.8bar (& sometime slightly higher) and it's my guess that the new turbo is working much more efficiently and the actuator (still with the old settings) may not be letting go enough -- indicating overboost..? one night, i got the CEL and on checking when i got home, it was the code:34.

now, the interesting thing is, i didn't hit fuel cut but the CEL still stayed on. can anyone explain..? i've always thought the code:34 should only come if the charge pressure superceeds 0.85bar..? can anyone confirm..?

between 0.8 - 0.9

dark_knight

Member +
car spec

@ H_D: car didn't judder or stutter. EML/CEL just came on and stayed on until i recycled the ignition (off then on).
car spec is currently:
- hi-flow blitz LM air element
- de-cat 2.5" exhaust plumbing on the stock e-mani & down-pipe
- ct9b @ 0.8bar mated with the stock actuator
- heat range 6 NGK plugs
- OEM fuel pump, fuel filter, injectors, fuel rail & pretty much everything else engine-related..

Last edited:

chichi

Member +
it sound like a fuel cut i run td04 at 14 psi and nights i have code 34 on because the car overboost to 15-16psi

dark_knight

Member +
@ chichi: you're right. it had just rained that night and i was gunning it. there was no shudder so doubt i hit fuel cut..

chichi

Member +
@ chichi: you're right. it had just rained that night and i was gunning it. there was no shudder so doubt i hit fuel cut..

its easy to fix i don't run any engine management so i low the daily boost to 13 psi so in nights i hope to run 14.5 psi max and not have fuel cut

H_D

Member +
its not good to hit fuel cut as it leans ur engine out,
to diagnose this i would recomend a FCD and fpr or an aftermarket plug and play ecu but im sure u already know this dark_kinght or should i say spacecraft

dark_knight

Member +
it is i

i know H_D, but i didn't hit FC in my incident. just needed a better understanding of what happened.. & aftermarket plug-&-plays are not available to me atm -- too expensive. let me save up for my engine rebuild first then can think of aftermarket goodies.

& yes.. it is i, spacecraft now known as dark_knight.. :D hehe
i requested for the name change coz spacecraft was the name of my NA Glanza S conversion. now have a Glanza V code name knightrider a.k.a dark knight since there is already a knightrider on here.. :p

Last edited:

H_D

Member +
as far as i know there are 2 types of fuel cut if the car judders when on boost its a HARD CUT and if it does not its a SOFT CUT check your boost gauge to make sure it is reading the correct boost pressure.

dark_knight

Member +
soft- vs. hard-cut

i'm sure my boost gauge is working fine. it's been working great before and even now so i'm sure. so H_D, are you saying that during a soft cut, there'll be no juddering..? that means that there is reduced fuel but not a complete cut in the fuel flow as with a hard cut..? if so, has anyone got any proof of this..? like i mentioned, just trying to get to understand it better, not doubting your word mate.. :)

H_D

Member +
i'm sure my boost gauge is working fine. it's been working great before and even now so i'm sure. so H_D, are you saying that during a soft cut, there'll be no juddering..? that means that there is reduced fuel but not a complete cut in the fuel flow as with a hard cut..? if so, has anyone got any proof of this..? like i mentioned, just trying to get to understand it better, not doubting your word mate.. :)

That is pretty much what im saying

dark_knight

Member +
watch list

ok. turned down my boost to about 0.65bar and will monitor for the week. hope it rains some time to get the ambient temps low enough to see any spikes/creep as well.. :)
thanks H_D

H_D

Member +
ok. turned down my boost to about 0.65bar and will monitor for the week. hope it rains some time to get the ambient temps low enough to see any spikes/creep as well.. :)
thanks H_D

P.S - Port the wastegate hole on the turbo to reduce boost creep.