Anyone recognise this?

Glanza_MK

Member +
IMG_0327.jpg

Yup, snapped clean off!

IMG_0330.jpg

Great.

This is one area I dont really understand. Obviously I need a new head, but where do I go from there?

gv1.3

Admin
common problem mate. Mine has a crack right there as did Frankies and when you remove your mani you might be unfortunate enough to have it come right off.

Ive heard people say it can be welded but I dont know about that. It is a weak point in the 4efte head design and is prone to cracking which can often result in the "dolphin squeel of doom"

Sorry for your troubles dude :( proper pain in the arse.

EDIT: I also heard rumor that the stock mani can cause this due to unequal heat build up from the restrictive runner. How true this is I dont know but what I do know is when I drop a new engine or get a new head for my current engine it will be going on with an uprated mani.

hubbygt

Member +
common problem mate. Mine has a crack right there as did Frankies and when you remove your mani you might be unfortunate enough to have it come right off.

Ive heard people say it can be welded but I dont know about that. It is a weak point in the 4efte head design and is prone to cracking which can often result in the "dolphin squeel of doom"

Sorry for your troubles dude :( proper pain in the arse.

yaeh we had to replace davegtturbos head because of this but it never came off just cracked almost the whole way round the stud. sounded like you were driving ecco the dolphin around for a spell lol

350ep70gr

Member +
Can be rewelded to a machine shop. Also tell them to fill all the surrounding with aluminium because it is a weak point of the head and come off easily especially if it was tight by hand over the specs.

Chris

Glanza_MK

Member +
I think theres a couple of things that will have led up to this happening. I was changing the oil yesterday and I noticed that there were no bolts on the decat brace and the holes werent even lining up! It was then that I started investigating and found the crack. Undoing the mani proved the whole piece had broken off. Im guessing that because there was no brace, the jolting has caused it to crack. Also, as mentioned above, it could well have been overtightened in the past which is something I admit im often guilty of.

It wouldnt be so bad but a chunk of the manifold port has come away aswell so im not sure how welding would go.

If I did need to get a new head, what would need to be done then? Skimming etc?

350ep70gr

Member +
I think theres a couple of things that will have led up to this happening. I was changing the oil yesterday and I noticed that there were no bolts on the decat brace and the holes werent even lining up! It was then that I started investigating and found the crack. Undoing the mani proved the whole piece had broken off. Im guessing that because there was no brace, the jolting has caused it to crack. Also, as mentioned above, it could well have been overtightened in the past which is something I admit im often guilty of.

It wouldnt be so bad but a chunk of the manifold port has come away aswell so im not sure how welding would go.

If I did need to get a new head, what would need to be done then? Skimming etc?

Your problem as it looks from the foto can be welded easily. To fit an other head is wise also if you dont want to risk it. You will need skiming,new hg and maybe laping the valves and check the cams-valves clearence and renew valve steam seals while you are there . Maybe new head bolts also.

Chris

Glanza_MK

Member +
Someone said that I would need to get the block skimmed aswell? If that isnt the case then I will definetely get a new head. I shit myself at that point as I had images of the engine coming out and alsorts!

I need to do the timing belt anyway and I think the valve stem seals need doing aswell so would be worth doing now.

Thanks for the input btw chaps.

VQ'ed

Member +
Its time for a 5e-fhe head, buddy. think upgrade. I ported my 5e-fhe exhaust portings this week-end. It is much more opened as there is a lot of space left from the casting/gasket matching. Almost 1/4 of an inch!!! Cant wait to get the head on. POWWA!!!!

durmz

Member +
sorry to hijack. upon reading this thread and someone mentioning this causing a dolphin squeel noise i rushed out to my car as ive been getting this exact noise when on boost to find a big crack in this exact place, crack hasnt gone the whole way round, is only down one side. what can i do to catch this problem?? or is it just gonna go eventually like this one? :( ffs. what sort of costs am i looking at? will rep.

sorry for jumping in ure thread dude, looks like we in simular boats now lol

i presume the heads coming off no matter what?

Last edited:

gv1.3

Admin
sorry to hijack. upon reading this thread and someone mentioning this causing a dolphin squeel noise i rushed out to my car as ive been getting this exact noise when on boost to find a big crack in this exact place, crack hasnt gone the whole way round, is only down one side. what can i do to catch this problem?? or is it just gonna go eventually like this one? :( ffs. what sort of costs am i looking at? will rep.

sorry for jumping in ure thread dude, looks like we in simular boats now lol

i presume the heads coming off no matter what?

if you want to make the noise go away get some gun gum putty and lash it on there. It will set like a rock and block the crack. It aint pretty but it worked on mine and made the dolphin swim away.

durmz

Member +
what if some if this gets in the crack though and falls into turbo?
EDIT: or is this far from likely? i would like to get rid of the noise but ide obvs like a permanent fix, has this worked on ures for a while now?

gv1.3

Admin
The crack in mine was a hairline crack and so very little chance of anything getting in there. If you are very worried about it dont put it on but mine has been fine.

durmz

Member +
alright mate thanks very much, worth a shot, yer it seems to be a fine crack on mine too, but im worried that nows its cracked its gonna end up like this one.

repped mate.EDIT: must spread rep! lol nxt time

gv1.3

Admin
yeah mate I wanted to replace my mani but I know that as soon as I go to take that bolt out it will come away from the block :(

The trouble is that if you buy a new head it might just happen again. It is possible that if you were to get it welded like the lads above suggested it might end up being stronger than the original as there is certainly a design flaw there to begin with.

munday

Member +
I know somone who had it welded in situ and its holding up ok at the moment.

Obviously this is no help to the OP, but might work for Durms

durmz

Member +
yeah mate I wanted to replace my mani but I know that as soon as I go to take that bolt out it will come away from the block :(

The trouble is that if you buy a new head it might just happen again. It is possible that if you were to get it welded like the lads above suggested it might end up being stronger than the original as there is certainly a design flaw there to begin with.

I know somone who had it welded in situ and its holding up ok at the moment.

Obviously this is no help to the OP, but might work for Durms

yer im thinking maybe getting it welded up isnt a bad idea but this would probably require the head coming off wouldnt it? or do you think that if i took out everything in the way it myt be possible to do it in the car, that is providing when i take the mani off it doesnt come off straight away lol. im gonna stop driving the car til this is fixed! lol thanks for everyones help