are cusco lsd's any good for road use?

wishbone

Member +
thinking of getting one of these, i use my car as a daily but would also like to use it for the track from time to time. what is it like driving with one of these installed in the box? uncomfortable drive or does it feel like normal? anybody have any info or one themselves...

Rory

Lifer
There superb on track, but a bit heavy for day to day use (heavy meaning hardcore)

Certainly not normal, if you want your car to feel anything close to normal it wopuld have to be a halical LSD, like Quaiffe. TRD etc etc.

wishbone

Member +
so in other words it would feel like it'd want to jump out of the box? with daily driveing? what lsd would you recommend?

popsy09

Munster Area Rep.
i drove with trd and quaiife lsd and found quaiffe to be amazing in the bends but pull ya all over the road when accelerating and trd was good when accelerating but not as good in bends

there the only two i have used so all i can comment on

madman

Member +
cusco diffs are good they are a wee bit clunky very low down but hey it makes up for it in the bends and traction off the line awesome diff imo but its the only one i have driven along with oem diff

steveatyork

Member +
My bro had a cusco,and after a week he exchanged it for a trd diff,he just couldn't bare it the car used to judder and clunk at low speed,it felt as if something was falling out of the engine bay
I thought it was great and would love one in my r5(weekend car only) but I have settled for a trd diff as this came up forsale at the time

Worth noting that with a plate type diff, you need to use the correct oil with friction modifiers to minimise clunking and if you buy second hand you run the risk of;

1. Getting one that's shagged and needs a rebuild
2. If it wasn't run/broken in correctly then small particles of metal can get in between the plates and cause them to go slightly off axis, coupled with the fact that the faces of all the plates won't be perfectly flat and perpendicular when new mean that if the correct procedure isn't followed then, then the diff will probably always clunk.
If you buy new and run it in properly non of that should occur.

Also a plate type will need regular oil changes to prevent the above.

My advice if buying any type of diff is to think about what you want it to do, as different types do different things to the car on the road. It's not just a matter of one type being better than the other.