arnold clark

markeybhoy

Member +
looking for a bit of advice here on behalf of my mate.

hes saw a MK4 Golf at an arnold clark dealership and he wants it. has being trying to negotiate a price with the salesman but the salesman has stated that the price is non negotiable, its the APR that they can possible change to alter the final payment price.

personally i think thats a lot of bull to be honest hence the reason im going down with him tonight to try sort things out.

now, ive told my mate to get a loan through his bank as chances are they will give a better APR, so if hes paying cash, surely the guy can drop the price a bit?

any salesmen or ex salesmen then your advice would be greatly appreciated.

mk4 golf - window price of £4495 - i think he could get it to 4k paying cash. am i being a bit too hopeful?

also, the price is non negotiable?? i dont believe that for a minute!

SupaStu

Member +
...load of balls that one, the dealer can always negociate, but some of the salesman are hard headed and wont budge, i've had the same thing.

markeybhoy

Member +
also, he put down a small deposit and signed some stuff (just txt me there to tell me lol) whats the deal with pulling out. there must be some kind of cool off period when you have the choice to pull out of the deal?

Nwimie

Member +
if the sales man actually wants to sell it then he should drop to around 4000 really. good luck its all about how you word it ;)

SupaStu

Member +
youre always best asking that kind of stuff before paying or signing for anything, in case they are dicks about it, I dont trust salesmen at all (in it for themselves), always had bad service in car dealers lol!

Starlet_Sam

Moderator, Regional Area Reps Supervisor & Gay Car
Everything is negotiable, I could haggle on a pack of Polo's at Asda if I wanted to. He won;t budge coz he get a percentage and he wants as much as he can get, his commission is based on the price it sells for so he wants to askin gprice and then to make it cheaper for you by altering the APR. Of course it's negotiable but he does this for a living!

Signing stuff, it's impossible to say without seeing what he's signed but I should imagine he would lose his deposit if he was to back out now. Plus the fact that he's signed stuff and paid a deposit puts him in a very weak position for negotiation! He may have even signed a contract to pay a certain price for the car (will be able to get out of but will cost the deposit).

FerryScoob

Member +
My mum has just bought a merc from arnold clark. They would not budge on the price even though she was paying cash. The car was already cheaper than book price anyway. She managed to get 2 1/2 years warranty from them and not a dodgy arnold clark warranty. The warranty was through warranty direct and would cost £700 normally. Maybe your mate should try an approach like that. They will give you things like that but they wont really move on the price.

SupaStu

Member +
My dad used to get stuff like a free full tank of petrol, OEM branded car mats, free AA membership all that kind of stuff, granted he used to get his new'ish cars from the same dealer but they would be fair when making deals.

Try getting a free tank of petrol from a dealer now and they'll laugh at you and say no chance.

markeybhoy

Member +
yeah ill have to see whats hes signed for tonight when i go down. maybe all he can do now is try to get some stuff thrown in with the deal.

i bought my 1st car from arnold clark (05 zetec S) and the salesman was brand new. i got 300 off the cost and there was a small dink on the rear bumper so he got it removed, reprayed and put back on for me and a half tank of fuel.

just depends on the person your dealing with i think.

SupaStu

Member +
Yeah that was good! When my mate was going to buy a corsa ( a few years ago!) I said to him that the front tyre was bald, to ask them to change it for when he was to pick it up.

Anyway he came back with the car, new tyre on the front, okay, checked the boot and the bastards had switched it with the spare! Thats from a known dealer in Anniesland!

ChrisW

Lifer
I know a fair few salesmen and it all depends how good a month they have had! Or even how good a mood they are in! They shouldnt be under any ruling to prevent them from budging, it will just be their % that will suffer.